New POG member

Started by David Morgan, January 01, 2014, 05:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Morgan

Hi Folks,    
An introduction of sorts  ....... In the late 70's, early 80's dabbled a bit in cross country's', enduro's , down here in the southeast, SETRA circuit , Denver 100,  local CC and a qualifier over in Tellico Tenn., never was a top contender, but did pull off a win at a Taylorsville CC and a surprising bronze at Tellico in the non-intent 250 class.

Mostly road on a couple of Yam IT's and could afford only to lust after the Penton's / Huskys, though eventually worked up enough credit to where me and the bank purchased one of them gleaming orange/white 250 GS80's.......oooohhhh what a machine!!!  In truth will say it was too much race bike for a short guy of 5'2"/ 120 lbs, but once pointed in the general direction I was looking to go it would get it done in hurry and a blast for general trail riding at the time.

Eventually the daughters came to be and had two close riding buds' that wound up with knee surgeries so figured it was time to give it up for a bit........ Though now that some time has passed and the girls/ young ladies out on their own figured to revive an idle threat posed to the wife back then, "once I get these little darling's raised up I'm going back super senior class!":D

I haven't quite got me a true penton as of yet, though I'm trending that way with a 79 GS 250 that's  a  rider and what appears to be a 78 175 MC-5 that needs some sorting, which I hope to give some attention to in the near future. For now want to thank ya'll for allowing this new member a place to school-up and refresh on the workings of his early KTM/Penton.

Happy New year

86 Yam IT 200
82 Husky XC 250
79 KTM 250 GS
78 KTM 175 MC-5

Note# Both photo's some 30 yrs. apart,same guy,same,location (Brown Mtn. NC)
Dave

78 KTM 175 MC-5
79 KTM 250 GS
82 Husky 250 XC
86 Yam 200 IT

Paul Danik

David,

From all of us to you, WELCOME aboard...  Your story is similar to many of ours so we can surely relate. I really like how you showed the two photos, "back in the day" and today. Neat idea.

It has always seemed that the taller guys rode the Huskys and us shorter folks rode the Pentons. You already have a nice stable of machines, but I am sure a couple of Pentons will fit in nicely.

Do you attend any vintage events, possibly the Barber Vintage Festival?

Again, welcome.
Paul

David Morgan

Paul,

Figuring on the White Lighting in Chester SC come March, and had ideas of Barber, but the nieces wedding has come-up on that weekend,,,,,So it looks like Mid-Ohio in July might be put on the schedule, never been to Ohio which would make it all the more reason to venture the trip.

Thanks for the welcome

Dave
Dave

78 KTM 175 MC-5
79 KTM 250 GS
82 Husky 250 XC
86 Yam 200 IT

Dale Fisher

Dave, As you are most likely aware included in the VMD experience is one of the groups major yearly functions.  I encourage all to attend Vintage Motorcycle Days at least once.  Our tent area not only serves to protect a large display of bikes but is also a gathering location for members from around the country.  It typically is a fun filled weekend of unusual weather, friends, competition, our club meeting Saturday night (including JP's 89th birthday celebration), and daily culinary delights served up by Chef Dale Buehner.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired