Center Stand Details

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, January 12, 2014, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

Can anyone point me to some detailed information on mounting a center stand on '73 through '75 frames? I have been searching the list, and can't turn up any detail, just some mention of them when Al B. had some made quite a while ago. I saw the photos of Paul Danik's ISDT Jackpiner and that gives me some ideas. It looks like it was an all bolt on deal with a hole drilled in the inner foot peg gusset that is in the center of the foot peg mounting tube. This location makes some mechanical sense. Any body got any other photos or can steer me to some other detail?
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee

Mike Schulz

Hi Daniel,
I also had the same question for my 1972 six day - I had the parts but didn't know how to mount them. After some trial and error, I believe you have to remove the foot pegs and foot peg bolts and then the allen head bolts go through the foot peg tubes and through the top hole on the center stand on each side, then into a washer and nut. The L shaped spring holder then mounts to the frame to the hole in the frame gusset above the foot peg tube on the chain side of the frame with a nut and bolt. Last, the spring attaches to the spring holder and the center stand spring tab. This center stand raises the bike off the ground more than usual, but I am told that is how they were made! I cut the swing arm mounted kick stand off the swing arm before installing the center stand. I hope this helps and if I am wrong, I hope someone else will correct me.
Mike Schulz
I saw Paul's 1973 ISDT bike at the 2103 Penton homecoming and despite it's blue fiberglass, it is actually a 125 six day and not a 175 jack piner! I heard that all the team bikes in all displacements that year were blue. One of the neat things on that bike is a spare shock body mounted on the left side of the frame!

Paul Danik

Hi Guys,

Here is a link to some photos that Bill Smith took of that machine a few years back. I do believe that Mike is correct in how the bolt goes thru the foot peg mounting tube.

I will try to take a closer look at it tomorrow when I am near that machine.

http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?moid=3176&hr=1

Hope this helps.
Paul

Daniel P. McEntee

Thanks for checking in guys. It sounds like I'm on the right track as far as mounting one. The spring bracket will take some figgering out, and if you can send me a photo of that, I think I can duplicate it from a good photo or two. I have fabricated several center and side stands for myself and others so that is no big deal. I am just interested in doing it as originally designed, and trying not to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. I studied the photos of Paul's ISDT bike, and it pretty much matches up with how the one I'm looking at appears to mount. I don't have any High Point catalogs or anything to check against to verify. In my experience looking into this, most ISDT riders usually whipped up their own, if there was no factory supplied items. I have duplicated Hercules units, Can Am units and even Yamaha IT 175 center stands. I have also duplicated Don Culter's hand built center stand that he made for his '75 Ossa Desert Phantom ISDT bike, for Jeff DeBell's replica that he built up for the Tulsa, OK ISDTRR in 2009,  I think it was. So fabricating is easy, getting true to the originals is where I need help. The one on Paul's bike is made just a bit differently from the one I'm looking at, but his was made several years before. Hey Paul, did you fabricate the one on your bike, or was that factory supplied? I'm always interested in ISDT stories. I was at the ISDTRR in Massachusetts in 2003, but there is always so much going on at those events, that it's hard to see everything and don't remember seeing your bike up close.  
  Thanks for the replies, and I look forward to see more from others, hopefully.
   Dan McEntee

KJDonovan

Daniel,

Did you ever locate a 73 - 75 center stand to use as a template?  I need one for a 75 400 and I am looking for a photo with a few dimensions so I can make one up.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day