After Market Exhaust

Started by Monty, July 10, 2002, 09:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monty

I have been trying to find an after market silencer for my 78 KTM 400, and so far have had a very hard time. The only thing that I have seen is from FMF. It is called the Universal Spark Arrestor. They state that it is made for universal aplications on vintage bikes. I want to know if anyone has seen this silencer, or any after market pipe/silencers, applied to the KTM 400 (or any other vintage bike for that mater)?

Any help or suggestions would be great!

tlanders

John Durrill told me there was a product called SuperTrap (?) which has tunable baffles in it so that you can change the power band of the bike. I haven't found it yet, maybe you can. Teddy

Larry Perkins

It is called Super Trapp and most motorcycle shops can get them.  The FMF if not that is the same system.  They use discs that go on the end of the silencer and it changes the restriction so the tuning changes somewhat.  They have to be cleaned fairly regular or they can stop up a bit.  They have been around since back in "The Day".

Monty

As far as Super Trap goes, I have found the following information.

Super Trap

"Lightweight and economical, the 3" Steel External Disc Series Silencer was designed for both 2-stroke and 4-stroke dirt bike applications."

Inlet adapter sizes available: .875", 1", 1.125"
1.25", 1.375", 1.50", 1.625", 1.75", and 2"
Lengths available: 14.5"
Weight: 2 lbs.

FMF Universal Spark Arrestor

"The lightweight and compact Universal Spark
Arrestor is made specifically for those machines that do not have a bolt on application. Using the exclusive "Turbine Dampening System" making it a U.S. Forestry approvedsilencer. The Universal is also perfect for the older vintage machines in need of a legal spark arrestor.
Comes with everything you need!"

Is this what I am looking for? Will this boost performance? and is it compairable to the Universal Spark Arrestor?

I trust FMF, and know they put out a good product, but has anyone used either one of these silencers on their bikes?

Larry Perkins

If you are racing or want the best in power the FMF one is far better than the Super Trapp in my opinion.  How can a company named Flying Machine Factory be wrong.  Seriously it is lighter and less restrictive.

Monty

And what modifications will need to be done to my existing pipe? or can I buy an after market pipe?

Tom Gougeon

I've used a SuperTrapp on my '75 250 ever since the original muffler was damaged. I use between 6 and 8 baffles, depending on how obnoxous I want to be. Yes, it will eventually clog, but put the baffles in the campfire for a few minutes and they're clean as a whistle. I'm sure the original packing is long gone, but I enjoy hearing that crisp clean bark.

Monty

I think that I may go with the FMF Spark Arrestor. I have been looking around som more, and it seams as though the FMF will be a better choice for what I am doing with the bike. As far as the visuals go, it is not too complicated. Just find a picture on the web that you would like to show, right click and select properties. When you do this there will be a URL (*http://something.com*), copy that URL by highlighting it, then right click and select copy. In the body of your text enclose your URL with the Forum Code. I can not type it in, because it will not apear, but it is explained in a link below the window you type in when posting a message.

Edited by - Monty on 07/10/2002  11:59:31 PM

tmc3c

Hey Monty what do you think we are, rocket scientists?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Monty

Rob, you dont' know how much I wish that I knew! If I had a clew, then my own bike wouldn't be in shambles. I figure it will take me untill the end of winter to get everything back together.

And as far a Rocket Science goes, if you need one let me know! We have plenty that don't have much to do now that all birds have been grounded.

Larry Perkins

It seems the longer Pentonia exists the more diverse the population of Pentonites becomes.

john durrill

we picked the Super Trapp because I needed both a silencer and a spark arrestor to ride in the local enduros and the national forest around here.
with the engine we are using I was not looking for more, but somewhat less performance.
Teddy what we did find out is that stinger length and size control to a significant extent the rpm range of the power delivered buy the expansion chamber. A small diameter stinger will give ( to A point ) a power band that is in higher rpm range than a larger stinger .
length plays a big part too. so adding any silencer to a stock pipe will change the power delivery. If you are looking for something that affects the stock set up less then the FMF would be a good choice like Larry suggested.
But in my case I was looking for something we could change easily and adjust the spread of power with. The trapp comes with a 1 and 1/4 inch core . that's too big for my 175 but buy slipping into the core, tubing of different diameters we can search for the best combo .
 The stock Penton pipes and silencers plug up too and should be cleaned out regularly if you want the best performance.
 So I guess it would depend on what you need the muffler / spark arrestor for.
will let you folks know how it worked out for me. we may have to try another pipe and or build one from scratch .... but being a lazy guy we took the easy ay out and will use the trapp to try and end up with something that has a wide power delivery and give the little shift key in the Sachs tranny a  brake chuckle chuckle.

Monty

Quotequote:
It seems the longer Pentonia exists the more diverse the population of Pentonites becomes.

Hopefully this is a good thing. I know people say all the time, "how can you improve on perfection", but my take on the whole thing is, "if it hasn't failed yet, there aren't enough features"! There is always room to improve, evolve, and blow the hair back on any one person, or persons. So as you add a feature, get it to pass, then you need to add another. Make it a little faster,blow it up;rebuild stronger, beter faster. It is a viscious cycle, in the wicked web that we weave! None of this would be true without the evolution and newcommings of PENTONITES.

Larry Perkins

I totally agree.  Envelopes would never get bigger if there were not free thinkers to push the boundries of the envelope.  Diversity keeps things from getting stagnant.  I am a fairly free thinker but I have made several statements in my years of motorcycling that I ate.  Here are a couple of them.  "One shock in the back.  That will never float."  "Watercooled with a radiator.  Maybe on a streetbike but it would never hold up on a dirtbike."  I love you new guys and the excitement and ideas that come along.