Hub Gasket?

Started by KJDonovan, March 30, 2014, 03:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I am tearing down the hubs from a 75 Penton and came across some additional parts and was hoping someone here may have some information on them.  On both the front and rear hub there was a molded gasket held in place with rubber cement that looks like it was supposed to keep dirt and water off the brake shoes.  I looked through the parts manual and this item is not depicted or called out anywhere.  I am assuming it was some kind of add on sold back in the day, maybe Hi-Point?.  Anyone seen these before?  Were they something from KTM or some other company?

Gasket on the hub:
[image]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt298/KJDonovan/photo1-1.jpg[/image]

Gasket off the hub:
[image]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt298/KJDonovan/photo3.jpg[/image]

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
72 Montesa Cota 123T (Another Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

firstturn

These gaskets were originally made by two guys from Texas (Houston area).  I do believe that later on HiPoint handle them.  I believe Al had some in the past?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Daniel P. McEntee

The late '74/'75 Pentons that I am working on had these also, which made me think they were a factory part. I had not seen them before, and couldn't find them in a parts book. Interesting concept, but I have come to the belief that anything you do to try and seal anything out, will work ju8st as well to keep things in once it manages to get there. I think grooved shoes and a frequent inspection and cleaning ar just as effective in making brakes reliable.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
+
  PS; Could those be splashes of qualifier marking paint on the backing plate?

KJDonovan

Ron, Thank you for the information, it's always nice to know where this stuff comes from.

Dan, I agree with you that this probably keeps more stuff in than it keeps out, especially after seeing the inside of the hubs!   And yes, as you suspected from the paint blotches this was a qualifier bike.  

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
72 Montesa Cota 123T (Another Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

tofriedel

I have a NEW set of these hub seals in my inventory with the Hi-Point name on the bag.  I remeber using these on my Pentons/KTMs back in the mid 70's.  At the time they appeared to work.  LOL

Tony
Tony