Carlsbad race track

Started by OUCWBOY, July 11, 2002, 01:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

Hi all!
Going to the vintage races this Sunday at Carlsbad CA. Should be another good day for the Pentons here. I know Bruce McDougal told me he would be there. Bart (FMF MX) is going to be there too. Should have about 5 or 6 Pentons entered on that day. I'll post the results here.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

imported_n/a

Donny, you should use your powers of persuasion to convince FMF to produce pipes and performance stuff for our Pentons.  I seem to recall Don Emler built a "Penda" in '73 or '74, which was a 125 Elsinore engine in a Penton frame.  Maybe the nostalgia bug will bite him!

Glenn

Monty

GLEN,
I have a posting that describes a couple of silencers available, and one is from FMF. But have you guys ever seen any after market pipes? or does FMF make custom jobs? I would like to get a nice new shiney pipe for my 78.

OUCWBOY

Glenn, Monty.
I have heard of FMF making custom pipes for the old Monarks. I think the cost was somewhere close to 250 bucks. But, I also heard that they didn't work nearly as well as the stock pipe. I guy I know had one made for his Monark and didn't like it so he went back to the stock pipe. I have a couple of contacts at FMF (Danny LaPorte) so I will mail him and see if this is feasable.
I would even be willing to haul one or two of my bikes up there to use as a model on the Dyno.
Good idea Glenn.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OUCWBOY

Monty,
I think there maybe pipes avaiable that are reporductions. Check out http://www.allcustomfab.com/penton/index.html
and see what Karl and AL have available.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

SoCal996

I contacted Bassani about the pipe McDougal is running on his 125 and they gave me a number, sorry don't have it with me, of TC Exhaust in CA. I called TC and he used to work at Bassani, back in the day. I'm going to take my 125 to him and see about having a pipe built, I'll post the results, but it will be at least three weeks since my bike is still in pieces.

OUCWBOY

I have a Torque down pipe for a 125 that is NEW. I am installing it on a MX project I'm currently working on. My friend has one installed on a Monark and it works very well. I will let you all know in a few weeks about the Torque Pipe. I'm sure others have used the Torque pipe too.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

imported_n/a

Donny, Mr. SoCal, having good performance specs for a pipe is half the battle.  If you both can pursue these leads, maybe some performance up-pipes can be built for our precious Pentons.

Glenn

Larry Perkins

If you want to reproduce a cool 125 pipe get the specs on the one I sold Ted Landers.  It was an old factory pipe that was supposed to be from KTM and was used on the Sachs motored bikes.  Ted has it on the D motor racer I sold him.  It has a steel header pipe that was probably from a stock pipe.  From the header pipe back clamped on it is aluminum.  Yes, boys and girls aluminum.  Of course it could be reproed in steel.  It is quite snubby and totally cool looking.  It barely gets out of the numberplate heatshield. Ted has done well on it especially for not being a younger hyper go crazy 125 guy.  No offense Ted.

As far as the 78 KTM bikes you are probably going to have to go custom there because there were not many of those bikes sold and they were only offered the one year.  Dr. 2 stroke may have some European ideas on that though.  

Best 250 KTM pipe from 73 to 75 in my opinion is either a Carl Cranke pipe(specs are in a past Still Keeping Track) or the one like was on my Rocket Bike and it is made by Jemco.  Both pipes bark.  This is all opinion of course and I always have alot of that.

Biggest drawback to companies building pipes is it is not cheap.  Everyone always says, remake pipes-remake pipes but when faced with $250 to $300 they say, too high-too high.  Horsepower generally costs and cheap usually is not faster.  That ought to stir the pot some.

Steve Minor

I've heard of a place near Reno, NV called "Aircone"...the # is 702-566-1077. I want it known upfront...I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THEM....they were merely referred as a fabricator when I was looking for a 77 400gs6 pipe. As it turned out, Steve Talbott (POG) had one in his stash, so I never contacted them....

Steve Minor

OUCWBOY

A couple of things here. 1st I e-mailed Danny LaPorte who still works for FMF and asked about them making a pipe for the Penton Sachs motors. I am still waiting for a reply. Teddy, fork over thoses specs on the pipe you got from Larry. Share the welth, so to speak!
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OUCWBOY

Sorry to all! I didn't make it to Carlsbad today. Health reasons. I hope someone else from here hade it so we can get a report.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dano

I bought a pipe from Emler for my 72 penton 125 back in about 1974.It worked great. I think I paid like 35 $$ for it.Back in his early days he would have garage sales every now and then{probably around rent time}and you could get some great buys on Penton stuff.

fzrr750

Hey, guys. I had Aircone do some work for me before and they do great work. Also, Circle F pipe might be able to build a pipe for your Pentons. Only problem with building a one-off pipe is...most likley you got to bring them the bike (if you change the angle of the pipe). If you send them your pipe they can go from there!! I have had several pipes made and all performed better than stock. Quicker rev's, better mid range and good pull from high gears. The cost is not cheap...but if you want one, than do it!!!!
 Just one thing I need to mention...jetting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not fun if you are a diy person like me!!! Look up a Suzuki site  'Suzuki Only' John is the owner and fabricator. He might be willing to build a pipe for non Suzuki onwers and he might get some more business.

Seeeyaaa guys!!!!     Ed T.

71 Suzuki TM400,72 Suzuki TS400 Desert racer,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.
71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.