Maplesville, Alabama

Started by Keith Meatyard, April 17, 2014, 08:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

Anybody going to the two day vintage event in Maplesville, Alabama April 26 & 27?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

dennis brown

i will be going

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

brian kirby

Dont have any idea what I'm riding but I'll be there.

Brian
Brian

Bamamarc

Helped layout grass track. About. 4 tenths of a mile. Somewhat dry on track, trails are still wet. Like always, PMMC has a great course. Expecting more rain Tuesday. See y'all Saturday.
Marc
IT200
Penton 125 Six Day
74 Penton 250... For sale

Dwight Rudder

Dwight Rudder

Oh, I will be riding a Canned Ham

brian kirby

I was making a frantic last ditch effort to get my '84 KTM125 ready for Maplesville, but thats not going to work out so it looks like I'll be on the Penton 250.

Brian
Brian

brian kirby

Brian

Dwight Rudder

Great event.  Very tight racing.............

brian kirby

I didnt go last year, but I heard there was mostly fast open stuff. This year was a great mix of tight trail, open flowing trail, and fire roads. I really really liked it and the club ran the event flawlessly.

I have GoPro footage of everything but Day 1 Test 3, not sure what happened but I didnt get the camera turned on. We had 5 terrain tests, I got straight up lost in 2 of them, and missed at least one turn in each of the others. I am very, very unhappy with my performance, the riding was fine but losing so much time needlessly because I dont pay enough attention to trail arrows is really frustrating, the trail was arrowed fine, I just get spastic and dont see them. The only terrain test on day 2 I had the second fastest time overall 5 seconds behind the fastest, but I got lost and watching the helmet camera I lost 33 seconds there, so I should have had the fastest overall time by 28 seconds except I cant/dont see arrows.

Brian
Brian

brian kirby

As a side note, I think there were less than 10 vintage bikes out of 50+ (maybe more) entries, and only 2 Pentons, mine and a Jackpiner.

Brian
Brian

rd400pi

Brian,
  I would guess that as we get older and stiffer, suspension becomes a bit more important.  I don't think we have necessarily lost enthusiasm for the vintage bikes but, I also have enthusiasm for being able to move/walk around during the days immediately after a race.  Oh and don't forget that my laziness comes into play here.  As far as the Pentons go, I have heard some guys say they don't really want to tear them up like they used to.  My excuse is that they are in the back of a long line of bikes that need attention/ maintenance.  Hmmm, sounds like some more laziness.  Sorry to hear about your missing the arrows, probably means you will just have to slow down a bit.  Hah! Fat chance!  Cheers.:D:D

Mike H.
  Tulsa POG

Bob Bean

My problem is a bad knee that wont allow me to sit on a vintage
bike anymore. I just cant bend the leg enough to get up on the tank or use the rear brake.  I need the taller seat to footpeg distance that the PV bikes offer.  It sucks when injury's limit what you can do..
The mind says yes!  The bod says NO!
Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

brian kirby

I have trouble with my knees too Bob. They will bend enough to get up on the tank and still shift/brake, but they dont like to stay bent for very long. I have to stand almost 100% of the time on the transfer sections so I can "save" my bent knee time for the test sections. It doesnt help that my seat foam is old and sagged out, I need to replace it. As with you, the PV bikes, especially the roomy '81-'84 Husqvarnas, it is much less of a problem.

Brian
Brian