VMD 2014

Started by Paul Danik, June 20, 2014, 05:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings, VMD 2014 is just around the corner, the POG confirmation letter arrived today for our booth spaces. I do think that some of you with booths were wondering about those letters, hopefully your letters have arrived as well.

Beth Owen is the Swapmeet Coordinator this year. Some of you might remember Beth from the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum as she was always very helpful during the time we did our Penton Day at the AMA meetings. Beth usually was behind the counter as we entered, but she also did much to make our meetings go well, especially the day before the meetings during set up.

If any of you are first time VMD attendees be sure to drop by the POG tent and introduce yourselves, we have a lot of fun at this event and enjoy getting to know everyone.

Paul

seanguthrie

This will be my 10th or 11th year going to Mid-O, but my first for racing there.  I'll be on the black #131 Penton.  Doing Friday and Saturday racing.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Kip Kern

I won't be a vendor this year but may try to ride over on the BMW for a day.  Who knows, after seeing the Penton movie last night, may try to set some kind of speed record to get there:D

seanguthrie

Ha ha, Kip we can race over.  Triumph vs. BMW!

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

tooclose racing

Gosh - VMD is here!  I am feeling a bit behind the ball here in getting ready for 2014 (family, work, you name it).  Not even registered yet, but got hotel (Super 8 in Ashland).

1.  HELP! I broke my choke lever clamp on my 76 MC5 (the backing clamp). Can one of my Penton brethren spare one/bring one to VMD?

2.  I'm going to try out a Vee Rubber VRM300 "Tackee" on my Jackpiner rear wheel.  Went with the 100/100-18 instead of the 110/100-18, so may spin up a bit more, but tire has gotten several rave reviews from some locals up here in XC scene.

3.  Both bikes get Bold, New, Graphics for VMD (okay fine, new stickers from Al B)

4.  Yes, I have at least one blown fork seal on the MC5 - I'm sure at least one of you will point to the puddle by my front wheel.  I will ignore your comments.  [}:)]

Finally - I thought I should let y'all down gently, early...Gary Ellis and Dave Winthrop are NOT planning on being at VMD this year.  I think Gary said it's the first VMD he will be missing since they started the event.

Kip Kern

LOL Sean, ride safe!

Mick Milakovic

I can't make it either, two years in-a-row missing it. :(

Mick
Mick

tooclose racing

Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!  Looking forward to the XC, I'll tolerate the Field of Dreams MX - but mostly because it may be the last remaining place on the planet that runs a Vint 175 (200?) MX class for the 'Piner.  Got to do some of that great food and tall tales at the POG tent and will of course try to hold my own for more than five minutes in a conversation with the painted woman at the Cafe Racer tent! What is not to love? "Who wants to go racing with Daddy?" "WE DO, WE DO!" replied the oh-so-loyal Jackpiner and MC5...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/toocloseracing1/14614983464/in/photostream/lightbox/

(wierd..I couldn't get image to insert from my Flickr account)

Kip Kern

Just made it home and dodged the rain! Wow, what a great time at VMD, thanks to the POG and the Buehner brothers for an excellent time!  Really enjoyed seeing the Penton movie again,  amazing to say the least.  Todd did an excellent job on this film, it is a "must see" for any vintage bike fan,

hankthecrank

Yes indeed this was a good time. Great friends ,GREAT FOOD, and a Great movie! Thanks to you all. Hank. PS, I drove thru a whopper of a storm and it looks like its followed me home!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Dale Fisher

I'll post more later after the weekend brain fog subsides.  A couple photos of "Pentonstock".  The crowd about doubled after the initial dusk photo was taken.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

rob w

I had a great time at 2014 VMD. I would like to thank the Penton Owners Group, Dale Buehner, and Al Buehner for providing me food and drinks for two days. Dale Fisher for his breakfasts, and all his hard work. And also the Penton Owners Group for the entertainment, by shelling out the big bucks to organize and show the "John Penton Story" movie on Sat. evening. For reasons beyond my understanding, I really appreciated the movie more the second time I saw it. I just love it, it's done so well - thank you again Todd Huffman.

Mr. Penton gave me this poster in person (almost to the week) 41 years ago, at my local Penton dealer. Saturday, I had him sign it. He said to me " man, this has got a lot of history"

I bought #2 on my dream bike list, a '74 Penton Hare Scrambler MX over in the MX pits on Saturday. Complete, low useage, original besides fenders, tires,seat cover, front wheel, starts and runs great. Really amazingly good condition. Quite the score at $1200.

tooclose racing

Great weather, (I didn't stay for Sunday), great racing, great people, and mostly good times.

My "Hi" Points:

1. Sitting down Saturday afternoon and eating a Dale Buehner-sourced POG lunch with John Penton after I was done-done with my racing schedule.  For some reason the constant autograph line that I had witnessed most the weekend abated a bit during this time.  Self-centered guy that I am, filled him in on my two days of racing and how much I was enjoying the Jackpiner.  I know these will be fighting words for some, but John offered up that the Jackpiner might have been the best bike that they produced.

2. Meeting Bob Waldron (Rob W) and hearing about his days of VMD racing.  He walked up to my pits and I say hi and ask him if he has a question or can I help him and he says his name is Bob Waldron.  I look at him dumbly and he then says "Rob W".  I do my biggest, most dramatic "OMG" and we go right into a bench racing session, and he also filled me in on the 250 HS that he had just bought.  First POGGER I've met that says the Mint 400 is his favorite bike (he's not a big guy, but then again Brian Kirby didn't hesitate to take one racing either...).  Best moment (hope you don't mind me sharing this, Bob) - when he tells me about an early 2000's VMD MX race where he is knocked unconscious in a big first turn pile-up. As he's coming to his senses and heading to the ambulance, Brad Lackey leans over him to ask him if he's going to be okay.  His response: "I love you, man!".

3.  Winning Vint 200 B/C XC race on the Gary Ellis-sourced Penton 175 Jackpiner.  Just a smooth ride and the VeeRubber "Tackee" tire was PERFECT for all of the roots and rocks that surfaced in the (longer than usual) slippery, tight woods course. My cause WAS aided by an AHRMA "Expert" level rider whose bike lost spark on Lap 3.  He had dropped down to race B/C at this AMA round for whatever reason(s).  I think God works in mysterious ways.  :)

4. Passing about a dozen P-V bikes with my MC5 during the MX lap at the beginning of my 2nd XC race at noon.  I led everyone (about a 25 bike 2nd row start) into the woods wearing my very smart green/yellow Moose Sahara gear.  Almost did a pageant/Barbie wave to spectators while riding thru the no-pass corridor.  Little did I know what awaited me...

My Low Points (come on, I get to whine a little bit):

1.  My not-so-smart pass attempt for first place in the first Vint 200 Open moto.  My apology to this gentlemen on his IMMACULATE Jackpiner (I have forgotten your name).  I crashed, and took about 10 seconds to get the bike back up to attempt restart.  Just desserts: the bike would not start and I recorded a DNF. I took a 2nd in the second moto and I THINK the other Jackpiner fouled a plug. You do the math.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

2.  Both races with my MC5 were just FORGETTABLE (with exception noted above). The XC race was borderline nightmarish with 1) a bike stall and 5-6 minute time loss on the first lap when it wouldn't take throttle after I re-started it, 2) getting punted once by a very aggressive expert that caused another stall, and 3) a wonderful crash in front of large spectator crowd on a muddy climb near the front of the course.  And I'll just say that I didn't click on the "Mini-Me" MX track on the MC5 like I did with the Jackpiner.  Enough said.  

brian kirby

I didnt hessitate to race a 400 in the woods the first time (2010) but I learnt my lesson and will never do it again. I knew I was in trouble at the start of that season when Jack looked at my bike, leaned in to me and asked "Is that a 400?" I said "yup" and he said "Those are too much for the woods". He was correct, at leas for me.

Brian
Brian

Rick Bennett

Bob
Had a blast racing against you in the vintage 200 cc and mx running my blue 71 honda sl 125 with 170 kit. I ended up 3rd in the cc and second behind you in the mx. My twin brother on the red sl 125 (145) came in 2nd in the vintage cc and 3rd in 200 mx. I am new to this group and joined because I owned a 73 six days 125 purchased new from Wetzel Suzuki that I raced hare scrambles with back in the day. If one ever presents itself I probably won't be able to resist adding to the stable.
Rick