correct wheels for 1974?

Started by penton117, July 17, 2002, 10:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penton117

Hi fellow Poggers,

Can someone shed some light on what the correct wheel would be for a 1974 six-day? I bought my bike along time ago w/ shoulderless D.I.D. rims on it, although I bought the bike used. I have searched everywhere, but have seen evidence of shouldered Akronts, shoulderless aluminum and maybe even some chrome steel wheels. My bike has the black magnesium hubs as it should, but I am not convinced of what would be the correct wheel. Maybe knit-pickey but may as well make it correct. Thanks guys

SCOTT CURTIS

My 1974 berkshire has the black hubs with steel chromed radaelli wheels.

Larry Perkins

Questions on what is correct come up from time to time and with Pentons there is rarely a clear-cut answer.  This is because they used what was available at the time.  This was a plus and a minus.  On the 74 Berkshire in 1974 alot of them had the mag hubs but the chrome steel rims because it was the step-child bike and there were chrome steel rims left over.  I remember some early 74 Six Days having the shouldered Akronts but most having the shoulderless Sun rims.  I imagine as the cooler shoulderless ones came around they were filtered in to these bikes.  A real good example of this principle was in 74 250's the early ones were the same frame and shock set-up as the 73 250 but part way through production the multi-position 75 style became available and was released.  I worked at a shop that had the older style sitting on the floor when the cooler ones came out.  It was real hard to sell the shorter travel bike with the multi-position sitting right beside it.  Hope this sheds a bit of light on the "What is correct?" dilema.

If it has Penton on the tank and is made between 1967 and 1977 it is correct and it was Built For Champions.

OUCWBOY

Larry,
you just about said it all. Take for example the Woodsman series, a 1974 could have an aluminum cylinder and a 1977 could have the cast iron cylinder. But they were still sold by John Penton.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR