No Flames

Started by Richard Toghill, July 29, 2014, 04:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Toghill

My recently completed 74.5 Hare Scrambler has now run out of sparks. I have had the original motoplat stator rewound (at great expense), and on refitting it I am only getting a very weak spark at he plug. I have tried different plugs, caps, no cap, disconnected the stop button, another coil which I know is good,another rotor and tried standing on one leg whilst whistling Dixie, all with no improvement. Any ideas?? Or should I just junk the lot and fit a new PVL or Electrex system? My sanity is becoming more important than my bank balance.:(:(:(:(

Dale Sonnenschein

Richard, I have read that the ignition needs a good ground. I ran a ground wire from the backing plate to the engine mount. I don't know if I needed to do it on mine, I just did it because I read it somewhere.

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

brian kirby

I dont know if it is your problem, but I also run a ground wire from the stator plate to the ground tab on the frame where the coil mounts.

Brian
Brian

Jason Rowland

A long shot, but if Dixie and a solid ground don't work....I've no knowledge of this particular ignition system, but if there are permanent magnets involved in this affair and they've received a sharp impact, they may have reduced flux density resulting in weak spark, or perhaps one may even have gone missing.

Richard Toghill

Seventeen plug caps later - problem solved. Despite the old system working fine with an NGK plug cap, the rewound stator would only give a good spark at the plug with a cap that was basically a direct connection to the HT lead (robbed from a Jawa speedway coil). As the saying goes - every day is a school day.

brian kirby

Almost all NGK plug caps are resistor caps which wont work with a Motoplat. The ONLY NGK plug cap that is non-resistor is the LBER.

Brian
Brian

Richard Toghill

I had one of those non-resistor NGK caps and that didn't fix the problem - must have been sold a lemon.