clutch adjustment problem 72 six days 6spd

Started by mikerichards, August 19, 2014, 08:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerichards

Just completed restoration on a 1972 six days 125 with 6 speed.  I have ridden the bike ****ing being stiff. Thought I had a tranny problem but now believe it to be the clutch. I have noticed the clutch is dragging.  Tried several attempts at adjusting per the manuals instructions.  Has new metal clutch discs, basket and thrust bearing assy.  I reused the old fiber discs. (could be the problem?)  Also shortened clutch cable.  Using auto trans fluid in gear box.  Also noticed the clutch adjustment screw (brass) has a lot of wear.  Pentonmotorcycles.com sells a clutch upgrade kit?  Not sure about it.
Help!!      
Mike in Daytona

gooddirt

adjust so there is some play in the cable at the lever on the bars

Kip Kern

Run brass screw in until it touches the pressure plate then back it off 1/3 turn.  Lock down at this point.  You should be able to then push it in and notice a slight amount of clearance between the screw and plate.  Next, adjust at handlebar and have small amount of end play at the lever.  You should be there.  Did you deglaze the old fiber discs?  I usually run them over a soft brass wire wheel to do so.  Good luck!

Paul Danik

If I might add to what Kip stated, before you adjust the brass screw be sure to have excess play in the cable.

As for the "lot of wear" on the brass screw, could it possibly be worn to the point of being beyond its usefulness in activating the clutch?

What led you to shorten the cable, the clutch not releasing when pulled or out of cable adjustment at the bars? Possibly if it is a tad short the brass screw wasn't coming off the pressure plate and that led to the excessive wear.

Best of luck,
Paul

gooddirt

mikerichards

First of all thanks for all the help. Today I tore down the clutch again and deglazed the discs(seems to have helped alot) reduced clutch dragging considerably.. I may not been thorough enough. May do it again.  I also found that the ball on the end of the clutch cable recesses into the cam cup slot.  Fixed that!  When I tried to adjust the clutch again I found that the brass adjustment screw is now too short to do any adjustment.  

I need a new brass adjustment screw, and a cam fork (corroded and very weak).  The pressure plate has some pitting but I think it will work. Any parts out there?

I cut the clutch cable down because I believe the cable I have is for a 175 with the cable adjustment nuts at the clutch housing. Bought it used.  Couldn't find an old style new cable.

johnborn

i may have those parts,will check this evening and let you know.

johnborn

i have the parts,(for cheap) these came from a 1970 berkshire,however , they have some rust on them.clutch actuator with screw,cam assembly, clutch fork,retainer,return spring,pressure plate.if you want them,e-mail me at [email protected].

Rain Man

Seems to me that at some point I bought a special clutch cover from the Hammers in Germany for the shifting and clutching problems I had.  Something to do with a worn cam in the cover not pushing in far enough to keep it from dragging.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

mikerichards

JohnBorn, I sent you and email for some parts inquiry and maybe some additional help.  Rainman, I also purchased the sachs clutch upgrade kit........makes quite a difference in ease of operation.  I'm still trying to get the adjustment proper.  When it feels right, I think the clutch adjustment screw is rubbing on the pressure plate.  I believe a new pressure plate will make a big difference.  I have some pitting in the surface area where the adjustment screw contacts it.

Mike

Steve Minor

Can someone tell me what's included in the Sach clutch upgrade kit offered by Pentonmotorcycles.com

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

mikerichards

Hi Steve,

The sachs clutch upgrade includes a new clutch case cover with gasket and adjustment screw, a new and much improved clutch actuator which is entirely different.  The actuator has three ball bearings which are placed between the actuator and a base plate and this reduces the pull on the clutch lever.  I just installed my upgrade from pentonmotorcycles.com.  You have to transfer some items to the new cover. I'll be glad to help you with it if you have any problem.  Mike

Steve Minor

Thanks for the info and the offer.....I might put it on my winter time task list.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor