Vintage motorcycle event Owls Head, Maine

Started by Paul Danik, August 29, 2014, 07:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The Owls Head Transportation Museum, located in Owls Head, Maine, is hosting a Vintage Motorcycle Meet on August 30 and 31st. I think a few of you are located in this area or are possibly within driving distance. I visited the Museum yesterday and was overwhelmed by the facility. We will be setting up a POG mini-display on Saturday and possibly also on Sunday. Besides the vintage motorcycle event, they will be flying some of their vintage airplanes as well. The Museum is located next to the county airport.

This facility is incredible, as their website will attest to, the link to their website is below.

http://owlshead.org/

Paul

KJDonovan

Paul,

The museum in Owls Head is awesome, don't know how often you frequent that area but while you are up there be sure and check out Reds Eats in Wiscasset.  Just a side of the road stand on the left side of Route 1 in Wiscasset just before you go over the bridge into Edgecomb. Food there is fantastic.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
72 Montesa Cota 123T (Another Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

thrownchain

Have to put it on the to-do list for next year...

Keith May

I visited the Owls Head Transportation Museum this past week. Unfortunately for me, I had to leave the area and return home to Louisville, Ky. before the vintage motorcycle exhibit started. We bought a summer cottage near by in Ocean Point near Boothbay Harbor, Maine and took our guests to the museum. For those of you that have not heard of the museum, it's fantastic! It is a first class museum, not at all what I had expected before my first visit and I've been there a couple of times. Antique cars, planes, motorcycles, bicycles, mechanical oddities, and even an industrial steam engine are on display. There is a garage area for restorations in progress as well as a hanger for airplane restorations and maintenance, both areas are accessible for visitors.
On my first visit there, a nice gentleman behind the info desk/ticket counter said "Everything in this museum either drives or flies". This was apparent as they were shuffling exhibits around after the vintage airplane show and a beautiful '57 T-bird was driven to a new location across the museum.
I'm quite sure the vintage motorcycle exhibit will be a first class showing just like everything they do there. I'm very disappointed that I can't be there to see the exhibit and visit with fellow POG members.

Keith

Paul Danik

Just as the Owls Head Transportation Museum surpassed all expectations, their Vintage Motorcycle Meet did as well.  

The organizers were very accommodating and we were provided an excellent display location. There was a steady flow of folks with some having extensive knowledge of the Penton Sportcycles, while others were totally unaware of their existence, what the folks all did have was a genuine interest in the Jackpiner that was displayed.

A side note on the use of the Jackpiner in the display, Alan Buehner mentioned long ago that it was his machine of choice for such displays as the KTM engine attracted folks with KTM knowledge when they spotted the KTM on the engine, he sure was right on that observation. While many other Pentons were KTM powered, the Jackpiner sure seems to have a very strong following of folks who either had one or wanted one, "back in the day".

We set up only on Saturday as we had other commitments for Sunday, we did drop by Sunday for a short time and it seemed like Saturday was the busier of the two days.

We did meet several POG members and appreciated them stopping by, pretty sure one of them rode his Vincent to the meet. There was an incredible variety of machines on display and 99% were ridden to the event.

Kevin, yes, we did stand in the line at Red's Eats and enjoyed their famous lobster rolls :D

Keith, hopefully next year if we get to attend we can meet. Thanks for providing your comments on the Museum.

Dan, I hope you enjoy the Museum as much as we did. If you attend the Vintage Motorcycle Meet I think Saturday is the day of choice.

Paul