Pop Quiz:

Started by clayman, July 23, 2002, 10:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

Just for fun, can anybody (maybe all POGers) name 10 Sachs-powered motocross/trials motorcycles from the late '60s/early '70s??? As a free-lance journalist I am always pondering new story ideas and, the other day, made up a list of 11. One of them was a sleek looking full-sized Bonanza, as seen in the 1972 Buyer's Guide. I remembered how much I wanted one back then....!
Sincerely,
Clay Light
Penton enthusiast!

rob w

Hi Clay, how about, Bonanza, DKW, Dalesman, Hercules, Monark, PENTON, Saracen, Sachs, Rurp, Tyran, Wassell. That was fun, there must be more. Bob

Edited by - rob w on 07/23/2002  11:16:26 PM

Edited by - rob w on 07/23/2002  11:55:13 PM

clayman

Bob:
Right on! That's the same list I had compiled, with the exception of.....I can't remember!!!....oh, yes, a French/Canadian model, I believe, an Alouette??? Donny S. will probably know for sure!
Thanks,
Clay

desmond197

Here are some more from Italy, SWM, Mondial, Mazzilli and Antillotti, from the UK Sprite

There is a Alouette MX on Ebay

OUCWBOY

I think you guys just about named them all!
Good Work!
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Rocket

Don't forget Rupp
Rocket

Larry Perkins

My friends who buy parts in Italy collect a very obvious one that is missing from the list.  Some would say that Penton would cover this but in Europe, Australia for every bike that came here labeled Penton there were two to three that were sold as KTM even with the Sachs motor.  So in theory KTM should be there also.  The Canadian one was indeed the Alouette.  There is a pristine one in a collection just about thirty miles from us.  Anyone that went to the AHRMA Ridgedale Missouri Cross Country National probably saw it.

OUCWBOY

Rocket, I think Rob was trying to say  Rupp when he said Rurp. LOL.
Larry, not to offend anyone, but in my mind a KTM is a PENTON. Just because KTM didn't feel the need to give credit where credit is due. After all, who designed the bike in the first place? Just my two cents worth. But you are correct. Those bikes were called KTM's.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

mad max

HI CLAY you also have rickman and saxson both made here in UK
                MAX.

Bob

And don't forget the Speedway Widow Maker - another Sachs engined larger minibike.

rob w

Hi Clay, I found another one in the Petersen's 71 buyer's guide. A Bridgestone 125 MCB enduro. Not built by Bridgestone but sold thru the dealers. It was built in Sweden. I only crossed it because I'm researching when the Penton's headlights switched from large to small, then back to large again. See ya, Bob.

rob w

Hi, it's me again. Oh, now I get it, MCB, that was the beginning of Monark, eh?

Larry Perkins

MCB was the Monark company when it changed hands.  Alot of my Monark NOS stoff is packaged in MCB packages.  I did not know they made anything for Bridgestone though.  On the headlight thing.  The large bullet ones were on early steel tankers and then there were a couple of headlights including a small one that was flat on the back like the later larger ones.  I believe the large headlights come back somewhere in the 1973 bikes.  I have had some 73 125 Pentons with the small one with the pull switch on the light and some 73 125 Pentons with the larger light and the CEV switch on the bar.  I bet the POG members would be curious what your research has found.  It is probably like alot of the when Penton questions-determined by availability at the time.

Bob

Larry, my 72 Jackpiner included a large CEV which I assume is original to the bike.

Bob

Quotequote:
I believe the large headlights come back somewhere in the 1973 bikes.

BrianTaylor

Oh dont forget my beloved Rokon....bt

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor