A Hearty Veteran's Thanks, Charlie Vincent redux

Started by Tom Penton, January 10, 2015, 03:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Penton

Our "Charlie Vincent Hello" thread got a bit off subject; I thought I'd start fresh...

Such a delight to hear from so many with connections to the F4 fighter! (Kip, Mike, Daniel, Kevin) And thanks to all for the shout out to us Veterans through-out the forum pages.

I'll accept thanks for myself (4 years regular USAF plus 3 years Air Guard), My Wife Julie (8 years AF Nurse), my son Spencer (8 years AF plus current Air Guard).

Dad's sister Mary's sons , my cousins Mike and Brett were in the USAF: Brett Flew rear seat WSO in F4's. Mike was 4 years in communications back far enough he had to learn morse code! Also a shout out to Mike for promoting the Penton Movie in the Atlanta area where he currently lives.

Doug Wilford was 8 years Air Force; we would often reminisce.

Finally a remembrance of a couple good buddies at George Air Force Base.

Jim Thornton, who was a POG member (still is?) owned the red Datsun pickup truck that got me and my bike around and was a great friend. I met up with Jim later in Florida, his home state where he returned after leaving the Air Force. My final AF assignment was to Homestead AFB there.

Jim Simons was an F4 pilot who I went around with and to races. Jim had a Bultaco 125, of all things, but that aside, Jim found time to be an ambassador for motorcycling. He co-promoted a local race (hare-scramble type) on the base for the Local "Desert Phantoms" motor cycle club. After I left the Air Force Jim found time to visit Penton Imports. Unfortunately, Jim has passed away. RIP

Paul, I remember the bike in the photo as a 152cc. I know I captioned the photo 1971, but upon thinking, I was at George AFB Fall 1969 through Spring 1971, the photo was probably 1970: wouldn't that precede KTM cylinders?

I have more hybrid 175 thoughts, I'll post new topic in a bit.

From a card I got from Jim Simons shortly after he left the Air Force.

Jim Thornton, 2nd from left, Jim Simons, far right, I'm next to Jim Simons.

Tom Penton

Tom Penton

With the Name "Vincent" still attached to the thread ... just saw this:  

1950 Vincent Series C White Shadow sells for US$224,250

This was the year I was born, 1950. Oh, the years have gone by, but if I'm going to be dated by a motorcycle picture ... this is a beauty!

Junish, 1950.  Mother Katherine holding me, picture taken from what is now Mom & Dad's cement driveway, original small white house would be on the left. Cemetary in background, Dad's BSA, I believe, shined up.

Tom
Tom Penton

Daniel P. McEntee

I love this kind of stuff! Love that Matchless also! Sure would like to experience one of those some day, even just a ride up and down the street. Somewhere here in my basement is an old copy of Mechanics Illustrated in which Steve McQueen does an evaluation of the then (early 1960's) top off road or scrambles bikes, and the Matchless was at the top of the heap. Don't know if I'm man enough to really ride one off road though!
   Thanks Tom!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee