74 - 250 Kicker Question

Started by KJDonovan, March 31, 2015, 08:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I came across kind of an oddball 74 – 250 and was wondering if anyone else has encountered the same.  I know that from time to time KTM would just use what they had on hand to get bikes out the door and perhaps that's what this is.  

Anyway, I picked a 250 a couple weeks back, the engine was ripped down and in a couple of boxes and the frame was roller.  The previous owner said he bought it in the same shape and the reason the engine was ripped down was due to a bad kicker shaft.  The engine # is 4-5402696 and the frame is 40170849.  So I assumed it was a 74.   So I start going through the parts last night and notice it has a 14MM kicker shaft.  Also the corresponding kicker hole in the round style clutch cover is also 14MM.   Bike came with 2 pipes, one megaphone style and the other looks to be the same as what would be on a 73 250 minus the fishtail tail piece.  Anyone else seen 74 250's with a 14MM kicker?  I was under the impression that by 74 all 250's had 17MM kicker shafts.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

brian kirby

What color are the cases?

Brian
Brian

KJDonovan

Brian,

They are the silver ones.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

brian kirby

Hmm, only seen black case 250s with the smaller kick shaft, but I'd believe almost any configuration in these transition months from the 73.5 to 74 250.

Brian
Brian

Kip Kern

Makes sense if it was an early 250, I have seen it before when rebuilding engines.

KJDonovan

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I guess it's just an odd duck. When I get around to it I'll be replacing the 14MM kicker and ratchet with the 17MM.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint