New Penton Owner

Started by ccmnova, April 28, 2015, 07:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Desranleau

Yes, very nice. Hope my 74 looks that good someday. :D

Koen Cuypers

...Wonderful machine!
I wish I had him :)
The old style PENTON Sachs are the most beautiful motorcycles on Earth!!

Koen

ccmnova

I got the clutch parts and took everything apart.  Looks like the problem was the plate tabs digging into the cage and probably causing everything to stick.  Has anyone seen this before ? I filed all the seats smooth and hopefully that will do the trick.

ccmnova

It was also very difficult to get the clutch plate spines all lined up to fit on the splined shaft as an assembly - VERY difficult !

brian kirby

You need the tool to align the plates, its basically just a clutch hub.

Brian
Brian

ccmnova

I used the engine shaft to align them and it was super tough but I finally got them on.

BrianTaylor

You need to start with the gear  then  place the hub on it as pictured then build up the plates, springs and capscrews when all assembled pull out the hub  

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

ccmnova

But I didn't want to remove the hub - not sure how it comes out (?) I did manage to get the stack back on the splined shaft.

ccmnova

Did anyone see the way the tabs were digging into the outer cage ?  Is this normal over time ?  i could imagine that the tabs were then hanging up on the ridges that were being cut into the cage.

ccmnova

I also saw someone recommend type F transmission fluid and I beleive this is the correct type.  Why does the manual from the bike written by John Penton say to use type A transmission fluid in cold weather (?) What is type A ?

BrianTaylor

Of the clutches I have done ( and not all Sachs clutches ) it happens quite often. the picture you show does seem to be a bit extreme though IMHO.....

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

ccmnova

Any tips for the best way to seal the clutch side cover? I have a new paper gasket but wonder if there is a product I can use to assure a good seal.

Paul Danik

Don Roth

Am I the only one drooling over the D cylinder ? Was that standard on the 74 ?

firstturn

Don Roth since I didn't see a Frame # I am thinking this is a late 1974 or a 1975 (last year of the Sachs for Penton).  And yes the D engine was in the bikes.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh