Off topic - VMD Pit Racing

Started by Gary Roach, July 14, 2015, 11:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Roach

On Saturday evening, we were driving the golf cart through the camp area, and we came upon this. It was a bunch of riders racing around stacks of tires and trash cans. They were racing for 5 laps, and there were no rules, and very few helmets. There were both modern and vintage dirt bikes, Chinese pit bikes, trail bikes, mini bikes, mopeds, scooters, and even a mid 70's Honda CB street bike, all racing at one time. Some of the races would have over 20 riders in them. And yes, there were quite a few crashes! This went on for hours, and there were several hundred spectators watching. I was really surprised that Mid Ohio Security let it go on for so long.

Although it was very entertaining, I hate to see this. It's things like this that got great events shut down like the Blackwater 100.

Here's a link to a Youtube video to some of the racing action:
https://youtu.be/Gw-QdU8az_U

brian kirby

You can always count on the AMA to run a tight ship.

Brian
Brian

thrownchain

The security was pretty lax on kids riding around the swapmeet also.

Dale Fisher

I too was very disappointed with the lack of enforcement even worse than previous years.  Making a late run to the porta facilities I was greeted by six pit bikes racing out and heading down the road at 2:00 am from the roadrace paddock area.  The Sheriff's department officers were spotted much earlier in the day but I'm not sure exactly what they were doing on the main road between the road track and swap meet.

While we all want everyone there to have fun some aspects detract from that for others.  It may be time to send the AMA an official complaint since they punch out early and let the venue folks take over.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher