Engine installation

Started by Andreas Piepke, October 29, 2015, 07:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Piepke

Hi POG members,

If you follow the progress of my rebuild of a 1973 Penton Hare Scrambler you probably know about the troubles encountered along the way.
This time around (second assembly of the engine) I fully assembled the engine on the bench, as suggested by the instruction manual. Now comes the point: the manual gives no hint at all on how to get the fully assembled engine into the frame. I just tried and failed! Is there some way to get the engine in or do I need to take the head and/or cylinder off again? Needless to say I would hate to do so as there seems to be little to no room for the torque wrench to tighten the head when on the cylinder. I am puzzled! I would greatly appreciate any advice you might be able to give me on this newest obstacle.

Cheers and thanks

Andreas

P.S.: I posted this message in the wrong section first, sorry about that!
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

brian kirby

Some say you can do it but I have never been able to get the engine in with the cylinder/head on it, so I dont even try now.

Brian
Brian

Andreas Piepke

The repair manual states that one should put the assembled engine in and out of the frame on the right side. I am puzzled, is this not so? The manual also states one should remove the "spacer" for this. Is that the large steel part held in place by the large allen head screw?

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Andreas Piepke

Here we go, the fully assembled engine went into the frame without much trouble after taking the "spacer", the grey metal bracket behind the drive sprocket, off the engine. Once the engine is in the frame one can rotate it up in the back and re-install the spacer. I should have thought about this earlier. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

brian kirby

Maybe it was my 400 I was thinking of, now that I think about it I have never had the 250 out of the frame.

Brian
Brian