Penton 400 Aftermarket Pipes

Started by imported_n/a, August 08, 2002, 09:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I've searched back on pipes for the 400, and AMS Racing and Jemco have been listed as possible sources.

Does anyone have a 400 pipe from Jemco or AMS?  If yes, how much was it and how was the fit and function?  

Thanks.  Glenn

Dave Withrow

Hi Glenn,
    I have been running the Jemco pipe on my '74 400 for 3 years now.  It matches right up to the frame.  Function is good also.  There have been several members over the last couple of years discussing the possibility of someone making a pipe but as of now I don't think anyone has.  Good luck.

Mike Lenz

I have been talking to a guy that fit a 76 400 mc-5 pipe to his 74 400. Says he didnt modify the pipe only the mounts. The mc-5 pipe made the 400's run much better than the 74 pipe. Will post here what I find out.

imported_n/a

imported_n/a

Mike, what's the difference in appearance between the MC-5 and Enduro pipes of the same year?

Glenn

Larry Perkins

More silencing so there is a cover tube over what would be the MC5 pipe.  I think it begins about the time the pipe gets under the #plate.  Right at the cone junction at that location on the MC5 pipe.  Mike Lenz would know better I think.

imported_n/a

Larry and Mike, was there any difference in the fore part of the pipe's design that changed the power between versions?

Glenn

Larry Perkins

I don't think so but again I think Mike probably knows more on this than me.  I was solidly an MC5 guy.  He might even have both pipes.  Mike?

Mike Lenz

In 76 the enduro version was basically the 75 old style frame bike with the same enduro exhaust as in 74 and 75. In 77 they made a totally new frame breather frame similer to the mc-5 frame with the pipe Larry decribed. The pipes were the same except for the rear ends on the 77 models.

tlanders

Mike, Am I guy you have been talking too? I did successfully mount a 1977 MC5 400 pipe in my 1974.5 frame. I had to cut off the rear mount on the pipe and build a different one. I also had to cut down three or four of the fins on the head to clear the pipe. I then built a new front mount on the bike to match up with the front mount of the MC5 pipe. I ran the bike for the first time at Mid Ohio - it ran really well, the pipe looks great. I was a little disappointed that the bike didn't wheelie as easily as I was expecting. I'm not sure if that is because of the 17 ounce PVL weight I added or my final sprocket ratio of 14/51 or both or I was expecting too much. Any comments welcome. Teddy

tlanders

I forgot to mention that the pipe was an aftermarket welded cone affair. I took it to Larry's shop and compared it to two pipes he had from Jemco and Ace I think. It was different. Mine has about a 12" long muffler that clamped on the end of the 2" or 3" long stinger. Maybe the lack of wheelies can be contributed to the heavy 1974.5 frame, Penton's heaviest frame. Maybe I should put everything in a 1973/4 frame? What say???? Teddy

Mike Lenz

Ted I was talking about a stock mc-5 pipe. AS far as the wheeles go have you tried helium[Spell?] in the front tire?

tlanders

Great idea!!! Or maybe a counterbalance weight with a little wheel on it hanging out past the rear tire???