32 vs 35 forks

Started by Mike Horton, November 15, 2015, 06:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

Have 32mm forks on my 72 JP but also have a set of 35 mm laying around.Is it worth the effort to put these on the bike. Bike is used for intermediate trail riding no jumping. Just installed a new set of progressive shocks on the rear.

Richard

Well,,,yes and no. Barry Higgins was looking at my 73 125 before the start of an AHRMA race and told me that changing to 35mm forks was the best thing that you could do for my bike. He said he bent the 32mm forks every time he rode with them. Now I'm no Berry Higgins, but I bent mine a bunch too, and if you have a set just laying around, I'd change them.

The no part is that you will probably want to lengthen your shocks too. the 35's have an inch more travel than the 32's. I run 14 inch shocks to keep the steering head angle the same.

brian kirby

I've never bent 32s but I only weigh 145lbs. If you are more "normal" size and if you already have them on had, swapping wont hurt anything.

Brian
Brian

VICTOR MONZ

I am a fan of 35mm forks, I am building a 1974 Six Day, which was originally outfitted stock with 35mm forks.  I found, back a few years ago, when I was going though many Six Day machines and racing twice a month, I found the 72-73 bike I built with 35 mm forks did handle much nicer in motocross out here in the rocky, hard packed areas in the southwest. Penton R&D decided to go to 35mm forks for a reason as they developed the better machines each 3-6 months sometimes, or that what I recall.

Just my 2 cents.

victor monz

I do have a very nice fully re-built set to bolt right on a cmf frame....whoops should be under the other forum, sorry.

JP Morgen

Just so you know, the 32 forks are shorter and the triple clamps have less offset, which together will give you better steering control and feel for slow corners, 35s will give better suspension and stiffness.

firstturn

Thanks JP for your input.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

I prefer the sharper handling of the 32s, and they are lighter also. Those who remember the bike Tom Benolkin built a while back, he kept the 32mm forks on it. For a 100 or 125 I would never put 35s on them because of the extra weight, but for a 175 it is probably OK.

Brian
Brian

firstturn

Thanks Brian and you are correct about Tom's bike.  You just rotate the tubes 180 degrees after every moto.  I agree with Brian especially on 100cc Pentons.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

I always felt like the 32's had a lot of wag cornering in MX compared to the 35's but I am a good amount heavier than Brian even at racing weight.  By the way Brian the 32mm forks on Benolkin's bike were bent when I got them.  I much prefer the 35's on all the Pentons I built.

Larry P

firstturn

Larry they were always bent.  <:^)

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Richard

If someone is interested in changing to 32mm forks, I have a good set of straightened 32mm forks I'm willing to trade for any old set of 35mm forks. And if you will kick in a couple of bucks, I'd even be willing to take a set of those worthless ribbed 35mm forks. :)

Rain Man

Do the 35mm triple trees fit right on the 72-73 chromoly framed Pentons?

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

brian kirby

Brian

Rain Man

Mike, what length progressive shocks do you have?  And how well do they work on that JP?  Also do you have the standard or heavy duty springs on them?

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Larry Perkins

When the CMF bikes came out they all had 32mm Ceriani forks but the ones that were sold in Europe as KTM had 35mm Ceriani forks.

Larry P