Hydro Blasting ??/

Started by thrownchain, February 12, 2016, 10:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrownchain

I'm thinking of getting a hydro blasting set up for my shop. If I do and offer the service to others, would people here use it ? Is it a worthwhile investment ? or should I send my stuff out ?

KJDonovan

Ron,

Is "hydro-blasting" the same as vapor blasting?  I ask because I just got back from a guys shop who does vapor blasting and I was absolutely amazed.  Had him do the cases, jug, head, carb and bunch of other bits for the 250 I just started on.  Unlike grit or glass bead blasting it does no raise the surface or remove material, just cleans it as nice as new.  I only know of 2 guys in the country doing in, one in Arizona and Mark at NoreasterBlastWorx in New Hampshire. If you're considering getting the same kind of setup, I am guessing there will be plenty of demand when people see how amazing this process is. the  Below is a before and after of the carb.

Before

After

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

thrownchain

Yes, same process, there are a couple of guys in Pa doing it also.

brian kirby

Did you have the slide blasted?

Brian
Brian

thrownchain

They claim it's gentle enuff to not hurt o rings or other rubber parts, and plastic parts as well. So blasting a non coated slide such as the Amal should be very easy.

Patton

Kevin, how much was the blast?

Thanks in advance, Robert Patton

KJDonovan

Robert,

I had a lot of other stuff besides the carb done and he didn't itemize the invoice, but I would guess the end of it for the ultrasonic clean and blast of the carb was probably somewhere around 20-30.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Patton

Fantastic, I'll box-up a bunch-o-stuff and send it to Mark. And, if thrownchain gets the equipment, we'll send parts to him on future restoration projects.

RP

Cal Alexander

The other guy doing Vapor Blasting in the U.S. is Dan Vitaletti out of Santa Fe, New Mexico. I've used Dan for the past two years now and he does a great job. He will vapor clean and rebuild your bing carbs for about $25. I have him do the engine cases, cylinder, head, wheel hubs, fork legs, etc.. on all of my restorations. You can check his web page at Vapor Blast Solutions or contact him at 505-946-7097. Dan restores vintage bikes for collectors and even rode a Penton Six Day back in the day [8D]

75 250 MC
74 Jackpiner
72-73 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

454MRW

I've been to Dan Vitaletti's shop dropping off a bike along my many travels. He's a nice guy and an early Maico 125 expert restorer. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

amherstscott

amazing looks so much better than bead blasting is the set up very complex, may want one for my shop if its easy and not to expensive, does harbor freight have one. lol
1970 penton six days, 1975 husky wr250, 1983 husky cr250

amherstscott

just researched it looks like a sand blaster but uses water very interesting
1970 penton six days, 1975 husky wr250, 1983 husky cr250

danvitaletti

I have been providing a vapor blasting service for over 4 years now, and still get amazed with the results this process gives.  Major advantages over bead, sand, soda and shell blasting are:
1, It does not create a rough porous surface that will attract and hold dirt/grease
2. Threaded holes do not get embedded with abrasive particles, requiring thread damaging taps to clear them
3. It does not remove or erode metal surface, does not damage rubber parts (O-rings, seals).  Bearing fits and tolerances not affected.
4. Gives a superior finish over other cleaning processes.
5. No hazardous chemicals or high pressure used, only water, glass beads and compressed air
If you want to learn more or interested in purchasing a system, contact me via my website  //www.vaporblastsolutions.com

Dan Vitaletti
Dan Vitaletti

Patton

Oops, found Dan's information in a previous post.

RP

We have a new fellow in the area doing blasting with water and recycled bottle glass. Don't know what it is called but will ask him today. It most be fast as my wife and I had lunch went back and it was done, $20.00. That was a 78 mc-5 frame. Going to pick up a 75 frame, swingarm, and exhaust pipe at 4:00 $35.00. Its real easy on parts and he can spray a mist of something so the parts don't rust. This is a new unit on a trailer. Dave