"Special KTM Tuning" /6D

Started by rob w, August 20, 2002, 12:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Two weeks ago I remembered a "74" 125 Penton I saw in a barn at a defunct salvage yard here in Michigan. So I ran back up there and got the complete bike for $350. I entered it on the bike registry last week, that's when I noticed it had a "D" motor. I got back to looking at it again tonight and found that the "Sachs" lettering on the side cases was taken off, and it has "special KTM tuning" stickers on both sides of the motor. My question is- Were these stickers available from a dealer back then? Do you suppose just anyone could of got these stickers and applied them? What does this sticker mean? The way the "Sachs" lettering was removed, looks like it was done by a amateur. Just wondering if I found something special. You know, if it was'nt for the POG, and the great members of the POG, I know I would'nt have so much enthusiasm about motorcycling, this has been a great summer. Thanks alot guys. Bob W

Edited by - rob w on 08/20/2002  12:41:47 AM

Larry Perkins

Bob,

My understanding is that goes back to a dispute between John and Sachs on some changes that Sachs did not think was necessary.  I was told that the Sachs was ground off and those metal stickers applied after the motors were received from Sachs.  Also heard there was a lawsuit and eventually some changes happened and Sachs remained on the cases.  I don't know all this for sure but that is the way it was told to me.  

There were a series of tiffs between Sachs and Penton and that is where the search for another powerplant and the push to get KTM to build a 125 motor begins. That push is what made the few Hiro Pentons happen.  

Of course as we now know KTM does eventually build a 125 motor but it is never as successful as the Sachs even though it was far superior.  It is just that by the time it comes along words like Elsinore and RM and YZ have come into play and "The Day" is ending.  It is then many many years before the European 125 can again truely compete. A little note-KTM and Husqvarna had several top Supercross 125 placings last season.  It seems finally the Euro 125 is back.