plug

Started by stumpjumper, June 17, 2016, 05:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpjumper

have my mint 400 completed and put back together.put pvl ignition in it.does anyone know what spark plug to use with that ignition.was told ngk b8ev or its crossreference.cant remember for sure had one in the 70s does it take a long shank or short shank.havin a heck of time getting it started checked spark and is getting gas.wearing me out!

rich skeweris
rich skeweris

454MRW

Rich,
You should read section 7 about spark plugs in the pvl instructions available on the web. It recommends fine wire or precious metal spark plugs and it requires a higher cranking speed to generate sufficient spark for starting than a Motoplat, and those plugs required less voltage. You should call Penton racing for their recommendations on specific spark plugs which would work best and timing for your Mint 400. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Larry Perkins

If memory serves me right on my Mint 400s I used a B8HV for Cross Country and a B9HV for motocross.  You do not want an E plug as that is long reach and the piston will hit it.  What you want is a short reach or H series in an irridium plug.  But M9ike is right check with Penton Racing to be certain as I am quoting from old memory.  Unfortunately it has been awhile since I had a Mint.

Larry P

gooddirt

Got to find old stock on the B8HV, its no longer made.Or  get the  NGK 7383 racing or your B8HS standard.

brian kirby

I seriously doubt the plug is your problem, I use the B8HS thick wire plug in all my bikes, which PVL explicitly says not to use, and my bikes start and run fine. The key with the 400, or any big bore two stroke for that matter, is you cant just kick it where ever it is in the crank rotation. You must inch the crank to just barely past TDC and then recock the kick lever and kick it like you mean it, making sure you get a full complete stroke of the lever. Unless you are a fairly large person you cant just stab at the kicker, you wont generate enough crank speed for it to start.

Brian
Brian

stumpjumper

Thanks brian will try that.

rich skeweris
rich skeweris

brian kirby

The 400 has a compression release on the back of the cylinder also, most bikes just have a block off plug. If your bike does not have one installed see if someone here has the valve, having a functioning compression release makes a big difference on the 400.

Brian
Brian

marsattacks

What Brian said. Plus if you have a Bing carb then flood the snot out of it.  Maybe get on a small step or something for good leverage and give a firm, smooth and non-abusive stroke.  Post a vid when she's running!
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

454MRW

Rich,
You should read section 7 about spark plugs in the pvl instructions available on the web. It recommends fine wire or precious metal spark plugs and it requires a higher cranking speed to generate sufficient spark for starting than a Motoplat, and those plugs required less voltage. You should call Penton racing for their recommendations on specific spark plugs which would work best and timing for your Mint 400. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Larry Perkins

If memory serves me right on my Mint 400s I used a B8HV for Cross Country and a B9HV for motocross.  You do not want an E plug as that is long reach and the piston will hit it.  What you want is a short reach or H series in an irridium plug.  But M9ike is right check with Penton Racing to be certain as I am quoting from old memory.  Unfortunately it has been awhile since I had a Mint.

Larry P

gooddirt

Got to find old stock on the B8HV, its no longer made.Or  get the  NGK 7383 racing or your B8HS standard.

brian kirby

I seriously doubt the plug is your problem, I use the B8HS thick wire plug in all my bikes, which PVL explicitly says not to use, and my bikes start and run fine. The key with the 400, or any big bore two stroke for that matter, is you cant just kick it where ever it is in the crank rotation. You must inch the crank to just barely past TDC and then recock the kick lever and kick it like you mean it, making sure you get a full complete stroke of the lever. Unless you are a fairly large person you cant just stab at the kicker, you wont generate enough crank speed for it to start.

Brian
Brian

stumpjumper

Thanks brian will try that.

rich skeweris
rich skeweris

brian kirby

The 400 has a compression release on the back of the cylinder also, most bikes just have a block off plug. If your bike does not have one installed see if someone here has the valve, having a functioning compression release makes a big difference on the 400.

Brian
Brian

marsattacks

What Brian said. Plus if you have a Bing carb then flood the snot out of it.  Maybe get on a small step or something for good leverage and give a firm, smooth and non-abusive stroke.  Post a vid when she's running!
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike