SOLD - 1976 Penton MC5 250

Started by tooclose racing, June 21, 2016, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Heads up - I will be putting the spit shine on my Gary Ellis- sourced MC5 and can bring to Mid-Ohio.  This is a racer ladies and gentlemen, and has produced more MX holeshots than I can remember.  I lose ground after that, but it's a personal problem. Fun XC mount also if it's not tooooo tight a course.

Pictures to follow by weekend if my wife lets me back into garage.  I want $2500.

* 38mm Marzocchi forks w/swept back upper triples, shortened and legal for AHRMA Historic.  No, don't have the 35's anymore
* Rod Godzny-refurbished Zoke piggy-back shocks, purple springs, only 2 XC races on them.
* Mini-Renthals w/ modern controls and 1/4 twist turn
* I have stayed with the original BING - very happy, bike is a two kick starter after tickling.
* PVL coil, Motoplat stator
* gold DID non o-ring chain, maybe half dozen races on it.
* DC plastics for side panels, I've got original (tired) fiberglass if you want them
* new DC plastic fenders front and back (white).  The DC rear is brand-new nice.
* Seat cover is VG condition, I've had to weld repair aluminum seat base once.
* "modern" cleated foot-pegs, I think sourced from Dennis Foley, same ones you can get from Al
* Might sell with Carl Cranke Chain Guide, might not.
* new rear brake shoes (maybe a half dozen races on them), touchy in the woods - be careful!

I have not compression/leak-checked the top-end, but it still seems pretty damn tight.  Please email me at [email protected] or text me at 315-297-2892 if interested.

Capt Morgan

Any pics available ?

1974 1/2 Penton Jackpiner
2013 KTM 200 XC-W
2008 Yamaha TTR 125
2007 Harley Heritage
2005 Honda CRF 150
2015 KTM 350 XC-F
1979 Husky 250 WR
2005 Polaris Phoenix

2007 Harley Heritage
1974 1/2 Penton Jackpiner
2019 Husky TX 300
2018 Kawasaki 140 G
1976 Penton 175 Cross Country

tooclose racing

Hopefully by weekend, some re-assembly still in progress. Here's a photo from 2014 or 15 that is fairly representative of the state of the state...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/toocloseracing1/14614983464/in/photostream/lightbox/

tooclose racing

Well, she's putting up a good fight, but I about have her whipped into shape after a half-dozen hours in my garage on a 90 degree upstate NY day. Here are some photos..not sure what is going on with all this "code" around the pictures. I use Flickr, and select BBCode for sharing these. I can send the hi-res versions by email upon request. Anyway...MT16's (rear is basically new), air caps on the forks for heavy duty tracks.  Gonna be a FULL trailer to Mid-Ohio let me tell ya. I do have an interested party at this time...thanks for looking!

IMG_20160626_211212 by Bob Close, on Flickr
IMG_20160626_211525 by Bob Close, on Flickr
IMG_20160626_211449 by Bob Close, on Flickr

tooclose racing

POGGERS- wanted to bump this beauty back to the top of the For Sale page.  Lots of interest at VMD, but no takers. So..she is safe and sound back here in upstate NY.  I'm going to snap a few more pictures to have available if requested.

Faster than fast.  Two kicks when cold and tickled.  Front forks are awesome - no flex.  She was just a bit much for my svelte 5'7" 160 body when doing tight woods (which they are very fond of up here...) racing.

Will be at King Ferry, NY 2 Day race and Ormstown QC Vint Festival in August, maybe Barber in October if I do something really nice for my wife.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

tooclose racing

Just wanted to move this to the "top" again.  I've received a couple of calls and sent pictures.  

I gotta confess - I might not be a good salesperson.  Gentlemen called me up who definitely needs 250 (or 400) power, but was "height-challenged".  I said "you don't want to buy my bike, you need a Hare Scrambler!"

C'est la vie.  I'm going to list it at Mark's Swap Meet beginning today.

tooclose racing

Buyer found the bike on this site and apparently a couple of you guys put in a good word for me (okay FINE - for the bike).  Thanks guys. ;)

Hmmm...wonder if I can find a 74 CR or YZ 125 racer out there...