Light switch for 1973 GS

Started by Andreas Piepke, August 06, 2016, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Piepke

Hello Pentoners,

I am having a hard time getting the head and tail lights working right on my 1973 Penton Hare Scrambler. The functionality is, unfortunately, only intermittent. I think I traced the problem to the light switch:

Looking at the first picture, the way, I think, this thing works is the white wire brings in the power to the switch. I tried that out earlier with a DC power supply. I temporarily replaced the white wire with the black one in the picture so it's easier to make measurements with the Ohmmeter. Looking at the second picture: the white wire powers the springy rotating distributor arm which in turn makes contact with the two appropriate contacts, seen above the distributor arm.
The problem is now that the spring loaded distributor arm makes only flaky contact. Probably it's not springy enough any more. It's riveted and can't be removed. I could try to bend it a bit but are worried to break the flimsy thing. The switch is hard to find and expensive. Can anybody give come way points here so I can make the switch work reliably without breaking it in the process?

Thanks for your input!

Andreas

'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
'73 Norton Commando
'77 Maico 440 GS
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Jason Rowland

I wonder if you couldn't pull some more copper or brass onto all the switch contacts using electrolysis, or re-line those lug faces (opposite the set screws) using copper foil and solder? Perhaps even crowning the top flats of the lugs with a thin plate that replaces the contact surface by overhanging the lug face slightly?  You may be able to incorporate that into an arrangement that somehow utilizes the set screw as an element of it's fastening. Heck, a spring-loaded center punch applied to the flat of the lug right next to the edge may even deform the face of the lug just enough to give you better contact.

KJDonovan

Andreas,

On page 9 of this catalog http://www.flandersco.com/Images/PDF/ElectricalCatalog.pdf they have some dipper switches that are reproductions of the CEV dipper switches.  You may be able to order one of these and use parts from it to rebuild yours or just use one of these.  Pretty inexpensive, last time I ordered some I think they were about $17

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Andreas Piepke

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know this vendor. I'll inquire about the price, this seems an attractive option.

Andreas

'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
'73 Norton Commando
'77 Maico 440 GS
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS