older Penton

Started by prestaino, August 25, 2002, 05:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prestaino

Any one out there help me?? I have a chance to aquire an older Penton with the round steel gas tank 68? it is a rolling bike no engine what do you think it is worth and is it hard to get a sachs engine for it and what would that cost? Thanks Pat from Jersey

tmc3c

Hey Pat anytime you can get your hand on any Penton's you can't go wrong, and a 68 at that, steel tanker, talk about history!!What color is the tank? Green & white=125cc,Red &white=100cc. Buy it and join our Merry Clan!!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rob w

Welcome Pat, It depends on how complete the bike is, and the condition of what is there. A 1968 Penton should not really be ridden, except around a parking lot once or twice a year to show it off. If you have a nice "68" without a motor, it is worth more than a good rider/racer from 71 to 76 with two motors. Show or tell someone who knows Pentons what you might have there (that you have trust in) chances are if you buy it, and it has some of the rare parts still left, you can 1) trade it for another Penton that you can ride every weekend. Or 2) restore/refurbish it,(which is much easier said than done) and you'll have something that you'll be very proud to look at. I don't think I'll be stepping on anyones toes here by saying this (I've thought that before but...) but I've been told a professionally restored "68" recently sold for apx. $7000 (roughly), I was'nt there so I don't know for sure. But you have to consider that not many people can do that fine of work restoring, and the labor cost of the restoration could be worth 70% of the sale. I have to emphasize to you Pat that this is hear-say. There are no professionals doing this anymore, so we are only trying to help each other here with our hobby and love for these machines. Thomas is right, (unless it is a rusty pile with half of the parts missing) BUY IT. I have never be associated with a greater bunch of people, if you find a passion with these Penton motorcycles, like I have, you've just bought yourself a life time a enjoyment. Oh, a Sachs motor might cost you between $300 and $900. Good luck, and please stay in touch. Bob W.

Edited by - rob w on 08/25/2002  9:13:17 PM

Larry Perkins

I have a motor for that bike and a completew bike like it for sale in the for sale section.