Progressive Shocks

Started by Steve Minor, August 28, 2002, 11:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Any body ever tried Progressive Shocks?

I notice they have a "vintage dirtbike" section listed on their website and a selection of shocks and springs for KTM/Penton...

Thanks

Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

They are decent shocks and more cost effective than Works or Ohlins.  I think they are not quite as good though.  Generally the less the price the less the product.  There are exceptions.  I have won races with both Progressive and Works so they will work fine I guess.  After all the old bikes handle marginal even with the best of shocks.  4 inches till kidney whomp is still less than optimum.  But that is Vintage according to AHRMA.

Steve Minor

Thanks Larry....now, in your opinion, how well you think the 13.5" Progressive Shocks will hold up if I install them in the lay down position on my 77' 400gs6? Do you think they can withstand the stress?

Steve Minor

tlanders

Steve, I have the progressive shocks with the adjustable damping on all my bikes. I get the 14.25" long ones. That raises the rear a little making it easier to get up on the pegs and also makes the steering a little faster. They work very well. Teddy

Larry Perkins

I think they won't hold up in the lay-down position.  I think you need something gassy like Works, Ohlins, or Marzocchi.  There is alot more leverage and pressure in that position than Vintage.  Post-Vintage bikes are a whole different ballgame.  My opinion.

Steve Minor

Yeah.....that's what I thought too...Looks like it going to be a set of Works...$ouch$.

One last thing....In the lay down position, the manual indicates it to have 7" rear wheel travel and a shock angle of 45 degrees...do you think I should stick with the stock length or go to a longer shock? I believe stock is 13.5" eye to eye....

As always, all opinions are appreciated.

Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

I think 14" will help the steering a bit but I won alot of races last year with one bike stock and the other a half inch longer so both are workable.

Rocket

Steve
My opinion, go with the longer shocks.  I never felt the GS6 bikes with the Marzocchi front ends turned very well.  A little steeper steering angle would definately help.  IMO
Rocket

Steve Minor

As always, I appreciate all the input. I guess I'll go with the 14" Works units.

Thanks again
Steve

Steve Minor