Penton steel tanker

Started by clayman, August 30, 2002, 11:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

I am looking at a Penton steel tanker that is out of state and a great distance from where I live (Oregon) and have only a photo to go by. It has a small straight fin head (the guy says that it is a 1970). It looks real clean but is missing the entire airbox unit (has a uni-filter attached to carb). Could this be a 1969? I had a 1970 (back in 1971) and it seems like it had a bigger cylinder and head on it. Anyhow, with the missing airbox (can I find one?) I think the guy may be too high on his asking price of $1000, or am I wrong?
Thanks,
Clay

OUCWBOY

Clay, the 68, 69 has the cast iron cylinder. The 70 and 71 had the aluminum cylinder. An iar box is sometimes hard to find, but Al or Larry may have one. A grand for an incomplete (plus shipping) might be a little high depending on the condition. Send a photo!
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

Clay

The airbox is tough to come by.  Al and I have re-makes of the cover in plastic but the metal inner part is tough to find.  The membership might be able to come up with one so that is probably the best route.  Occasionally ebay might pop one up.  

I agree with Donny it is most likely a 68 or 69 though if you get frame # I can tell you for sure.  The price is not way off assuming it goes.  The steel tankers are getting more and more collectible and there are fewer cast iron ones around than alloy cylinder ones.

If interested I will have a 68 all ready to go and running real soon for about the same money. It will have new seat cover and rear fender.  Also some NOS parts like grips and forkboots.  It has the original airbox with metal cover.  It is an MXer though that could be changed.

john durrill

Edited by - john durrill on 08/30/2002  1:23:08 PM