Amal Carb on 125/6B -

Started by KJDonovan, April 16, 2017, 06:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Anyone ever run an Amal carb on a Sachs 125/6B?  I am looking for jetting specs.  I know this was covered in Keeping Track back in the day for Jack Piners, but I can't seem to find jetting specs for a 125.

I have a fresh 125/6B motor and a fresh Amal 625/10 with the adapter flange.  The Amal is jetted as outlined below.   I know a Bing is the "best" option, but the Bing Agency no longer offers :( the correct float needle for the 27MM Bing. I have to get  this one race ready in the next couple of weeks without throwing more money at it, so I am trying to use what I have at hand.  If you have used an Amal on a 125 I want to know how it was jetted.

25MM (Neck Number 625/10)
Main Jet – 120
Pilot Jet – 25
Needle Jet – 106
Jet Needle - #6

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

rob w

Kevin, This is from Keeping track #12 November 1973.
For the 125cc - 30mm Amal conversion
Size 20 Pilot Jet
Size 240 Main Jet
Size 106 Low Orifice Needle Jet
#2 Long Needle
#4 Slide
Pilot Air Screw 3/4 turn out

Dale Fisher

Kevin,  Do you have a Bing part number for float needle you are looking for?

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

KJDonovan

Rob,
Thanks for the jetting spec, much appreciated.

Dale,

The Bing part number is for hard tipped float needle that utilizes the clip/lock spring is 47-916.   I would add the following.  I just rebuilt this carb, but when the new float needle and seat came in from Bing it was the float needle with the ball bearing in it, not the one that accepts the lock spring that keeps it attached to the float.  The issue is for some unexplained reason the needle gets hung up in the seat from time to time which runs the bowl dry.  Then I puke the carb again and the bowl refills.  I believe this is reason Bing came up with the float needle with the clip in the first place but in speaking with Charlie at Bing he tells me these have been discontinued.  

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Kip Kern

I just purchased the old style needle from Bing last week.  Ball with no wire connection to float.  Ask for the BMW CV carb float needle "old style"  No way I would use an Amal carb but that's me.