Irish Valley Hare Scramble

Started by Rick Bennett, April 26, 2017, 08:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

The second round of the North Atlantic CC series took place April 22nd at Irish Valley Raceway in Elysburg, Pa.. Five Pentons showed up to run the Vintage hare scramble out of 50 entries. There were another 57 entries in the PV race. Sandy Quickel came in first in his class and 4th OA on his Steel Tanker 125. Jay Danek came in 2nd in his class and 9th OA on a CMF 125. Bob Close came in 2nd in his class on his 175 for 11th OA. Dwight Gill was the only rider in the vintage 70 int. class and 34th OA, and I had a DNF or DNS on my 125 when my motoplat decided to take the day off after the sighting lap.

Paul Danik

Rick,

Thanks for the race report. When you state that Sandy Quickel came in 4th. overall on his Steel Tanker does that include all of the vintage entrants, and of all displacements and skill levels? That is how I interpret it. But could it be..........

Paul

Rick Bennett

Paul
Yes, Sandy was 4th over all out of the 50 entries in the vintage race. Nice guy and a good rider. He is working on a 74 Six Days so we have lots to talk about. He said he wouldn't make the next race at Reynlow Park on May 7th but plans on some of the other races in this series.

Richard Colahan

Consider this: the only Vintage race riders to BEAT Sandy were top experts Tim Ferguson, Dave Kutskel, and Drew Smith.
Now...we love our Steel-tank Pentons...no question...
But to finish that high on one against some excellent riders on some pretty nicely prepped bikes up to 74/75...well...that's some great riding!

Google AHRMA Mid Atlantic Vintage Racing for the Facebook page where more info is available, including the flyer for the next round at Reynlow Park near Dubois PA on 5/7. An easy commute for you Ohio guys!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

checkcrew

Rick or Rich, could either of you guys if poss get a pic of Sandy on the steel tanker up here,

thanks,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Richard Colahan

Mike, not sure how to do that so this might be the best way:
Google AHRMA Mid Atlantic Vintage Racing Facebook page.

Select the the photos by Thomas Aubrey...Sandy has at least 2...he's # 299.
Also note Mad-man Joe Zito who rode his 1972 Triumph 750(!!!!) to 10th overall. Not a fluke...Joe can handle the toughest, nastiest trails on that beast!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Rick Bennett

OK, OK...
Found out why my 125 had no spark. The black wire from the mag side cover came unplugged under the tank. Went ahead and redid all the grounds and silicone greased the connectors. Fired right up first kick. I guess this is what happens when you buy a bike and don't build it yourself. Now I know why you ISDT guys strip and rebuild your new bikes before the event. Live and learn. Should be a good old mud fest Sunday, just like the old days. John Penton style.
Rick