2017 vintage days the good and bad

Started by Bob Gilman, July 10, 2017, 08:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanksie

Didn't go last year because of the B.S. Thought MAYBE it would be better this year.Thinking about it,the Friday superstrom was a Blessing.How fast would the a-hole's had gone on hardpack?.Amherst Paul said it best.Remember the good old days! Bill & Michelle

Paul Danik

Being as the "good old days" of VMD have been brought up I would like to include Ed Youngblood in the list of folks who made those events so special. If I am not mistaken it was Ed who originally came up with the idea to have these events.

I missed this years event as we had a family camping adventure with all the kids and the five grandsons attending. Many fish were caught and memories made.

Paul

ALB

We were fortunate on Friday afternoon. The severe thunderstorms that were predicted headed south giving us only drizzle rain. It could have been a repeat of the Friday morning storms.

I thought that Saturday night would be a repeat of last year's parade of quads and bikes riding all around the swap meet area until 2am. I heard them running down the main road, stopping and then turning around and going back to the camping area. Apparently someone was standing guard and prevented them from entering the swap meet area.
I could hear a little bit of the "partying" in the camping area. Compared to previous years, it was quiet in the swap meet area and for that I am grateful.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

rob w

Dale Fisher and crew worked hard, and did well to make 017 POG VMD another success. John and Jack Penton, Scott Brogan, Ollie Martin, Alan Buehner, and Dale Buehner. All the folks that brought their bikes, sorry if I left anyone out. Thank you guys for all you do to keep the group running.

Ed Barth

Quotequote:Originally posted by Rick Bennett

Talking about the good and bad...

Congrats to Ed Barth. He smoked everyone in the vintage 200 class CC on his Six Days. The track was a swamp after the two hour downpour just before the start Friday. I have no idea why the run the PV race first. They have more suspension and power and we get the ruts.

Anyone know why the AMA lets the Burnout contest happen in the campground until past 2:00am?? The thousand beer cans smashed into the mud at this location and the "F" bombs coming out over the PA system makes me think twice about returning next year. I have written to the AMA to get their response. I had my five year old Grandson with me and he doesn't need to hear this.

Maybe I am just getting old.

Rick Bennett

Thanks Rick, it was a fun race. I thought I saw you out there in the creek maybe? Hope you're doing good. I agree we should go first instead of the post vintage guys! One day I want to get a vintage 250 and get up there on the front line.

Glad I didn't stay the night from the sounds of it. I can't believe no one is required to wear a helmet while pit riding.

Ed Barth

'73 Penton 125 Six Days
'73 Yamaha DT3 250
'06 KTM 250 SX
'15 KTM 250 SX
Ed Barth

\\\'73 Penton 125 Six Days
\\\'73 Yamaha DT3 250
\\\'06 KTM 250 SX
\\\'15 KTM 250 SX

Rick Bennett

Hey Ed...
What gearing are you using?
Also, are you finding water in your ignition side cover after a race and wash?
Rick Bennett

Dale Fisher

Something old, something new, mostly borrowed, so thank you!

A photo montage of VMD 2017

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm561QdM

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

jeff greenberg

Very nice. Thanks Dale. Looks like it was a bit windy!

Ed Barth

Hey Ed...
Rick Bennett

Rick,

I'll have to double check my gearing. I don't think I got out of 3rd gear on that track. Mostly in 2nd.
Yes I did have some water in the ignition side cover. I tore apart and cleaned out.

Ed Barth

'73 Penton 125 Six Days
'73 Yamaha DT3 250
'06 KTM 250 SX
'15 KTM 250 SX
Ed Barth

\\\'73 Yamaha DT3 250
\\\'06 KTM 250 SX
\\\'15 KTM 250 SX

454MRW

You should always remove the cover and clean it out after any riding involving water or mud. In fact Al does not sell a gasket for the ignition cover because that should not be in place it will just trap moisture inside. Originally, they have a vent tube that is routed up underneath the gas tank but even with that it will not dry out without removing the cover quick enough. Magnesium does not like water especially old magnesium. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Ed Barth

Hey Ed...
Rick Bennett

Rick,

I'm running a 13/57 gear ratio.

Ed Barth

'73 Penton 125 Six Days
'73 Yamaha DT3 250
'06 KTM 250 SX
'15 KTM 250 SX
Ed Barth

\\\'73 Yamaha DT3 250
\\\'06 KTM 250 SX
\\\'15 KTM 250 SX

SouthRider

I always loved a gasket on my mag covers. Lightly silicone it to the cover, and apply a thin coat of grease to the engine side.

Keeps mud and water out.

Then remove the cover immediately after washing the bike from a ride, and spray a light dusting of wd40 to the inside of the cover and behind the rotor.

Leave off for a day or two, then button up with fresh grease before the next ride.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax