125 Ignition Help for New Guy

Started by Alan Krov, September 09, 2002, 02:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Krov

I finally have gotten into the 72 Six Days, and found the flywheel loose on the taper, the nut stripped and peened over to hold it on.  I was able to clean up the treads with a 24 TPI thread file, but don't know if the OD is enough until I get another nut.  Has anyone had any luck with this type procedure, or I am looking at a new crank?

Also, the Motoplat stator (early type with red wire? but no diode marking that I could tell), has a lot of cracks in it, and it appears the trigger is bent over from hitting the flywheel.  Is it toast?  I followed the directions posted previously and have an "open" from the blue wire to the mounting frame of the stator, which I think indicates open (wasn't sure if that was the ground as mentioned in the psot, as it is removed from the bike.  Any comments? How much is a new stator?  The coil appears OK.  Is it worth it to rebuild? How much roughly would all new bearings and seals run?  Should crankshaft vertical play be not discernable?  Thanks, Alan

Alan Krov
Alan Krov

Doug Wilford

The left handed thread on the crank is metric, a metric thread file with patience will make it useable again.   Sounds like you are going to need a complete ignition.  Penton Imports can still test the Motoplat for you, but parts are not available unless you find someone willing to sell you what you need.   The PVL ignition is pricey and has no lighting circuity, but is a very good ignition.    To completely overhaul your engine, top end and bottom is again very pricey.   If you buy the parts I can do your engine like new.  My e-mail is [email protected]    I also answer all the mail sent to the [email protected]  The vertical play in the crank is a good sign of needing main bearings, and you are correct in assuming that the engine needs new seals and gaskets.