Dane Leimbach passed 6 years ago today.

Started by Paul Danik, November 16, 2017, 12:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

It is very hard to believe that six years have passed since Dane Leimbach passed away on November 16, 2011. Words can not express what Dane meant to not only me but surely to many of you as well, let alone the success of the Penton Sportcycle.

This link will take you to a photo of Dane taken February 5, 2011 at the Penton Day at the AMA meeting.  From the left are Tom Penton, Jeff Penton, Dane, John Penton and Jack Penton.

http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?moid=6875&hr=1

Dane Penton Leimbach, 60, of Vermilion, died Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at New Life hospice in Lorain, following an 18 month illness with A.L.S. (Lou Gehrig's disease). Mr. Leimbach was born in Lorain, graduated from Firelands High School in 1970 and attended Wilmington College.He was co-owner of Penton Racing Products in Amherst. An avid motorcyclist all his life, he excelled in the off-road endurance sport, achieving both national and international acclaim during the 1960s and 70s. For seven consecutive years, he won a place on the United States team competing in the International Six Days Trials in Europe winning six gold medals and a bronze. In addition to his own racing experience, he often worked national races as a pit crew member for the Kawasaki Team Green racing team.

One of the special joys of his middle life was traveling to races with his son, Paul, who was also an accomplished racer. Dane was a member of the Brownhelm United Church of Christ, served as a member and officer of Amherst Meadowlarks Motorcycle Club, and the Penton Owners Group.

In addition to his family and his sport, Dane enjoyed the family farm in Brownhelm Township, where he lived out his life, and where he served 16 years as a township trustee.

Dane is survived by his four children, Kelly Bland of Vermilion, Sarah of Lakewood, Liesel of Amherst, and Paul of Amherst; grandchildren, Michayla and Riley; his mother, Pat Leimbach; and his brother, Orrin.

He was preceded in death by his father, Paul; and his brother, Ted.

Paul

firstturn

Thanks Paul for the memory.  I miss Dane and Doug.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Admin

Here is a profile that was written by Dane in 1998. It appeared in the very first issue of "Still Keeping Track".

skiracer

Nice write-up!  Thanks for posting.  I wish I had the opportunity to meet him.....

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Carl Hill

Definitely one of my heroes when I was growing up. I rode a Berkshire too but not nearly as well as he did.

Kip Kern

Sure miss Dane, we had some great times and I certainly learned a lot from him whenever over at the shop.  I still have Uncle Teds Sachs tools that Dane gave me to use on engines during one visit.  Each time I use them, I think of those guys in the shop working back in the day.  Blessed to have known Dane for sure!

Mick Milakovic

Kip, specials tools indeed.  If only they could talk.......

Mick
Mick

ALB

Bill,
Thanks for posting Dane's member profile article.
This was the very first member profile for the very first POG newsletter. At that time we had no guidelines or list of questions to help our members write their articles.
Dane stepped up to the plate without being asked and wrote it on his own without any help. He helped set a standard for what I want to see expressed in our member profiles. It was an example of his "let's get-r done" attitude that was appreciated by John Borer, Doug Beam, and I in putting that first newsletter together.

This was the first of many unselfish acts that I witnessed of Dane over the years with the POG. I will always remember him surrounded in love and light.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner