Drain plug extention

Started by skiracer, November 16, 2017, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

Has anyone ever made an extension for the drain plug to extend to the outside of the frame rail?  Having a skid plate on my MC 5 makes it a real pain to change the oil.  I end up having to remove the skid plate so that the oil doesn't spread all over it.  Any ideas to fix it?

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Daniel P. McEntee

Just drill an access hole big enough for the socket you need in line with the drain plug. Either that or engineer you skid plate for the easiest possible removal and replacement.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

skiracer

The drain bolt is on the side of the case, so, I don't have anything to catch the oil as it comes out. (There is a couple inches from the engine case to the outside of the frame rail.)  I have gone with option two; I have clamps that go around the frame, so, I have to remove four bolts to drop the skid plate.  Thanks for your input!

Quotequote:Originally posted by Daniel P. McEntee

Just drill an access hole big enough for the socket you need in line with the drain plug. Either that or engineer you skid plate for the easiest possible removal and replacement.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Daniel P. McEntee

Well, in that case, just form up an ope funnel from a piece of scrap sheet metal, sort of a trough, that slips under the side case and extends out as far as you need it over a pan. Hardware store aluminum flashing would work well for this. On my 250 Hercules, you have to lean the bike all the way over on it's side to drain the oil!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

skiracer

Yep, I use to have 7A Herc....  not the best way of changing the oil...  And yes I have tried making a pan to drain the oil, but you don't get a good seal at the case, so, the oil is all over the place anyway...  I even tried to cut a notch in the plate below the oil plug, but then dirt an mud gets up in there and gets on the chain.  So, I guess I will just keep removing my skip plate each time I want to change the oil.....  Thanks for the input!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa