Standard vs O-Ring chain

Started by skiracer, December 13, 2017, 01:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

Is anyone using an o-ring chain on a 250?  I'm changing out my chain and sprockets and I have an o-ring in stock. Any thought?

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

G Ellis

Don't run O ring chain,it robs horse power. Not worth the extra money.

454MRW

I think the new X-Ring chain is the hot ticket. Narrower to fit through your chain guide and much less drag unlike an o-ring chain. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Dale Sonnenschein

I run O or X rings on my bikes. They don't stretch like non O rings. I'm not sure you could tell the difference in power between the two.

75 husky wr250
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
78 husky cr250
83 husky wr250
84 husky wr400
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Oldebonz

I agree!
Quotequote:Originally posted by Dale Sonnenschein

I run O or X rings on my bikes. They don't stretch like non O rings. I'm not sure you could tell the difference in power between the two.

75 husky wr250
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
78 husky cr250
83 husky wr250
84 husky wr400
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Larry Perkins

A higher dollar high tensile regulr chain will nut stretch anymore than an Oring chain and it is lighter rotational weight which would make a difference on a Dyno and maybe on the start of an MX race in my opinion and experience.

Larry P

Daniel P. McEntee

My 2-cents worth on this is to comment that chains DO NOT stretch, no matter what kind it it is. Chains wear out. The pins and rollers wear which makes for extra clearance in each link, which in turn let the chain stretch out more when laid out on the garage floor. The side plates are what would have to get longer for a chain to actually stretch. The O-ring type chains last longer because the O-rings do their job, which is keep dirt out and lubrication in. You can probably equal the life with a regular chain by diligently keeping it clean, lubricated, aligned, and adjusted properly. On vintage bikes, a good chain guide near the rear sprocket is well worth the effort to install if the bike did not have one previously. I started the habit back in my younger enduro days of using 520 sprockets and 530 chains. The extra clearance on the sides of the sprocket teethe helped to let mud self clear and not let the side plates pinch the teeth if mis-aligned a bit.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
  Dan McEntee

Husky

Had the ignition go out on my 74 Harescramber once.  Had to push it about a mile through the woods.  I was amazed at how easily it rolled with the non o ring chain. Therefore I am a believer that the little engine will struggle less with the non o ring. I have a 530 on it currently but will go back with a 520 because of potential clearance issues with the clutch actuator.

1970 Hodaka Super Rat
1974 Penton Harescrambler
1983 Husqvarna XC500
1988 Husqvarna Auto
2004 KTM 450 EXC
1970 Hodaka Super Rat
1974 Penton Harescrambler
1983 Husqvarna XC500
1988 Husqvarna Auto
2004 KTM 450 EXC

Paul Danik

"Back in the day" my mentor in all things motorcycling, Bob Augustine, taught me his method for making a chain last, and it involved a straightened coat hanger, a hot plate and a which-es brew of sorts.

WARNING  __  WARNING__   Do NOT try this at home........:(:([:(!

We took a small cooking pot like you might make chili in and put in it a mixture of STP and some grease, and possibly some things I have forgotten about over the years. Each week after an event and as part of my routine maintenance the chain would be taken off and brushed clean of any dirt. The hot plate would be turned on and the mixture in the pot would slowly turn more and more into a liquid. The chain would be wrapped tight, a straighten coat hanger with a slight hook in the end would be inserted into the hole in the end link and the chain would be placed into the warm, and very aromatic, mixture. It would be totally submersed and obviously the coat hanger stuck out of the pot.

After a bit of time, usually after one Iron City beer, the chain would  be lifted out of the pot by the coat hanger and it uncurled while doing so. We had a nail that the coat hanger would be hooked on that would allow the fully extended chain to hang above the pot and let the excess mixture slowly drip back into the pot. The next day the chain would be put back on the bike and it was set to go.

Little if any of the now hardened mixture would ever fling off the chain and I really never had any chain issues in even the longest of enduros.

Like I said above...this might seem a bit hazardous today and I don't recommend that you try it.

I sure miss Augie, his stories of racing his Gold Star, Harley K model and eventually his 500 ESO Scrambler sure made the miles go by easily as we traveled to events. I could write a book about that guy...

Paul

skiracer

Thanks guys!  Great information!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

wfopete

Well if chains don't stretch, then non O-rings chain sure wear out fast.  Give me an O-ring chain any day for increased reliability and less time servicing.  One mud run and the standard chain is 1/2 worn out. So if you buy into the theory that chains and sprockets should be replaced as a set then you get to buy new sprockets too.  IMO the O-ring chain is one of the best things that has happened to dirt bikes.  Also I am of the belief that chain lube was invented and marketed to shorten the life of chains. Chain lube attracts dirt and dirt equals wear.  My chains (O-ring) get a light coating of WD-40 and a wipe down.  I will use chain lube if it's going to be a wet, muddy ride but other than that just WD-40.  With all due respect to Mr. Danik, I think his cooking pot method is basically a poor man's O-ring chain; I don't doubt it's effectiveness but I'm not going to try that at home  :)

BTW, if you notice a differance in power on your 250 with a o-ring chain, your bike has bigger problems than what chain to use.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Gordon Brennan

I don't think my mighty Mudlark could climb over a telephone pole with an O-Ring chain on it, unless I was going down hill. Just put your bike on a lift and give the rear wheel a good spin. You'll notice a difference in drag between the O-Ring and non O-Ring instantly.
But this thread isn't much different than asking what oil to use.

Mick Milakovic

O-Ring chains are the hot ticket, unless you're slow like Gary Ellis and need that extra 1/2-HP ;)

Mick
Mick

skiracer

SMACK!

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mick Milakovic

O-Ring chains are the hot ticket, unless you're slow like Gary Ellis and need that extra 1/2-HP ;)

Mick

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Bob Bean

I run X-Oring on all my bikes. In the past season I pulled over 60 Holeshots..  Never noticed any lack of HP..  What I did notice, is I can run most of a season and never adjust the chain.  The chain and sprockets last several seasons due to low wear.  No brainer for me..

Bob Bean

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany