Larry Barlege Plate Number 1z for 2018

Started by Cal Alexander, December 19, 2017, 09:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Alexander

One of my Penton buddies here in Utah has been awarded plate number 1z for the 2018 racing season. Larry Barlege and his wife Eileen are Penton riders from way back and originally hail from Michigan. They moved west and have been living in Utah for the past 30 plus years.

Larry has been tearing up the Western Deserts in the 70 plus class on a KTM 350 EXC. To commemorate the 50th anniversary of Penton Motorcycles, Larry is rebadging his KTM as a Penton Berkshire in honor of John Penton and the 50th anniversary. Larry was able to meet Mr Penton several times at national races back in the day and competed with the likes of Billy Uhl, Dane Leimbach, Jack Penton and Paul Danik.

Larry's says his biggest win was a first place finish on a Penton Berkshire at the Jack Pine Nationals shortly after returning from a tour in Vietnam in 1974.

He is a member of the Utah Sportsman Rider Association and the Buzzards Motorcycle Club and is proving to all of us that age is just a state of mind.

Please join me in congratulating Larry for his number one ranking for 2018.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Paul Danik

Hi Cal,

I had the pleasure of talking with Larry a few days ago at which time he told of his championship and his plans to honor John Penton and the Penton Sportcycle legacy, what a great guy with a great plan..

Hopefully Larry will be able to make the 50th. Anniversary event in March, he seemed to be very interested in doing so. If he ends up driving possibly he could bring his KTM and let us all see it. From the Jackpine in "74" to Amherst in "2018", what a trailride his two wheeled adventure has been and from the sounds of it his "ride" is far from over.

Congratulations on your #1 plate Larry, and I do think I remember you covering me with mud at about the 30.7 mile mark at a run as you passed me in a mud hole...:D

And thank you Cal for being such a great ambassador for all things Penton. Hope to finally meet you in March.

Paul

Cal Alexander

Larry called me this morning after he had read Paul's post. He quickly processed his POG application so he can respond directly once he gets his membership and password. Paul, Larry said he remembers that mud hole as well. More to follow...
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

larry Barlage

Hello Paul, Larry Barlage here.  I think the "mud splashing " incident was distorted a bit. I think it was you, splashing me!  Moorestown backwaters, coming up to the dam.....38 miles in.  On a more serious note, Shane ( Cal's son) is wrappind some shrouds, and side panels in Berkshire Red and White.  Some Penton decals, and white fenders....Instant Berkshire.  Pictures coming your way when it's presentable.  Thanks, and a great 2018 to all.

Paul Danik

Hi Larry, and Welcome to the Penton Owners Group message board family.

Your personal efforts to honor John Penton and celebrate the 50th. Anniversary of his Penton Sportcycle are quite commendable, and will possibly inspire others to follow in your footsteps, or more appropriately in your knobby tire tracks...:)

It is interesting to hear folks such as yourself recall how they met John Penton at some place or another "back in the day" and how that meeting sure had an impact, even after 40 to 50 years ! Hopefully you will get to renew your acquaintance with John in March at the 50th. Anniversary Celebration.

Paul

Cal Alexander

Here's a brief update on Larry. After five events Larry is in the #1 position for the 2018 National points standings in the Pioneer 70+ class riding his Penton Berkshire badged KTM 300 EXC. The Cherry Creek event was held this past weekend and Larry placed 2nd running a very rough rocky course (He's still feeling it). Way to go Larry! Will be posting a picture of Larry with his rebadged Berkshire - KTM ride.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Dale Fisher

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships - POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

larry Barlage

Hello P.O.G.  Larry Barlage , from Utah, here.  Dale, thanks for posting the picture. It really came through clear.  I get lots of inquiries on the rebadged  Penton.  A lot of people ask about it. Many fathers and grandfathers tell their siblings " I used to ride one of these back in ----, only it was blue: ( or green). "I had fun on that bike"!!!  Usually, there is some reference to this brand being the beginnings of  what we know as KTM today.  They always ask for John.
I have 1 more Utah Sportsman Rider Assn. race in 2 weeks. Then a National race in Wyoming in July.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks, Larry B.

Paul Danik

Hi Larry,

Your story is very interesting as well as timely with this being the 50th. Anniversary year of the Penton. It must surely bring you great joy to instigate conversations between family members of different generations about their riding history and their Penton experiences. Combined with the obvious fun you are having riding your rebadged KTM and the results being attained, your efforts seem to be very rewarding in many ways.

Paul

PS Maybe you have already addressed this, but I was wondering if you have a vintage Penton ?