JP Quote from 1978...

Started by skiracer, January 16, 2018, 08:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

On the cover of the Jan. 25th , 1978 issue of Cycle News, John had an interesting quote: "There is no reverence or loyalty in America anymore.  The only loyalty there is, is to the almighty dollar."  Something that is still true today.....

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Toolsurfer

I wonder what John was reference this quote to? The Cycle business or just everything in general is driven by lust for money? I see this from the leaders of our country and everyone else's country to. Just wondering about his thoughts and views as I admired and respect his generation supremely. William

SouthRider

Think about the time.

The handshake deal with KTM was coming to a close.

Interest rates were through the roof, and the US dollar was falling faster than it could be tracked. He held the line as much as possible, but each container of bikes cost more than the previous one.

Bikes sold directly by the manufacturer were at a distinct pricing advantage.

It was a very trying time to be a small business owner in international commerce.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Oldebonz