Making leather tool bags

Started by john durrill, September 14, 2002, 12:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

thought this might interest some folks,
 we are making 3 leather tool bags for Pentons. the ones that came stock on a 1972 and up CMF model.
 the leather side to do 2 and 3/4 bags was $60. the rivits were $5,
 the dye was $5. the buckles ( 3 ) were about $2. Strap material was
$14. If you dont have a hole punch then that would have to be added also.
 Useing Andres advice we cut the pices out with a sheet rock knife
 (Handle with a razor blade) on a board 1" x 12" x3'.
the  leather was almost and exact thickness to the orignal we used as a pattern but not harness grade leather. the rivits are plated steel like the orignal but not stainless. the buckles are crome plated metal of some kind , but not stainless.
 sounds to me like the ones Rick Grants friend makes for $85 are a very good buy. if you make only one tool box you will loose money in the doing yourself. we needed 3 so it was worth it and they are very close to NOS boxes but not as durable as the ones from Ricks source.
 Just food for thought guys. we are on a shoe string for some of the resto stuff so it was worth it to us.
John & Peter

mosesnra

john i got plenty of leather and rivets. sideline hobby for me. send me a picture of the bags with dimensions im sure i can put them together for some folks pretty cheap.
i just dont have the buckles but should be easy enough to come by. dean 615 374-4648
or [email protected]

dean    [email protected]

mosesnra

i have the factory gas tank double buckle tie down strap to use for a pattern. i have a back fender mount tool pouch for a pattern i made years ago from another penton but im not sure if its exact to specs.

dean    [email protected]

Steve Minor

Mosesnra....I could use a tank strap for my 77 400GS6....I can send the old one as a pattern....any chance of getting one made and if so, what's the ballpark cost?

Steve Minor