Carolinas White Lightning to Benefit Elijah Roof

Started by BlueRidgePathfinder, January 29, 2018, 02:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueRidgePathfinder

As you may have noticed, this year's 10th Annual Carolinas White Lightning Cross Country Classic will benefit our sixteen year old son Elijah's medical expenses stemming from Acute Autistic Regression.

Often a period of autistic regression begins during or after puberty or during the transition to adulthood (late teens to early twenties). ... However, autistic regression can happen at any age and is often preceded by a major life change or a period of increased stress. In Elijah's case, his acute regression came on at the end of last year's school term, resulting in severe anxiety attacks, loss of verbal communication, and other severe symptoms of Autism he had never suffered before.

Since then Elijah has undergone concerted treatment by his pediatrician, a neurologist, a licensed professional counselor, and child psychologist/developmental & behavioral pediatrician. Over the past eight months he has undergone hospitalization several times, involving CT scans, electroencephalograms, and MRI.

Although Elijah is still unable to attend school, I am happy to report he has shown dramatic improvement, for which we are very thankful.

As you might imagine, in addition to insurance premiums, co-pays and deductibles paid, we have accrued a significant amount of debt, and are looking at another six to nine months of treatment.

White Lightning Cross Country Classic founder Greg Holder, with whom I have worked as event co-producer for nine years, would like this year's gate fee to go towards settling our medical debt.

Since the announcement of Greg's charitable decision, quite a few folks (unable to attend the event) have asked how to go about making contributions. In the absence of a crowdfunding campaign, we would ask that such contributions be sent to:

C. Al Roof
3224 Sparrow Springs Road
Gastonia, NC 28052-9233

For simplicity's sake, checks may be made payable to me, C. Al Roof, or, if you prefer, either to M2CreditCare (financed debt from Caromont Regional Medical Center) or AccessOne (financed debt from Carolinas HealthCare System NorthEast / Jeff Gordon Children's Hospital).

Thank you, in advance, to those of you wishing to help us in our continuing effort to bring Elijah back to his version of "normal".

May God bless you all.

Al & Dianne Roof

BlueRidgePathfinder

Preston Petty Products is sponsoring a silent auction at the 10th Annual Carolinas White Lightning Cross Country Classic, to benefit my son Elijah's medical expenses.

Dianne and I are extremely thankful to Paul & Patti Stannard and Mike & Sue Murphy for their loving support and generosity.

The silent auction is for an awesome package of Preston Petty Products, to include:

White Headlight Numberplate Assembly;
White IT Rear Fender;
White MX Front Fender;
Mesh Racing Jersey;
Vintage Style T-shirt;
Embroidered Cap;
and two Oval Numberplates.

Proxy bidding has already begun on this silent auction, with the high bid currently at $375.00 on February 16,2018.

Proxy bids may be made by text to 704-621-9207.