Unbelievable Dependability---End of Season

Started by Mick Milakovic, March 20, 2018, 09:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

I hope this story doesn't go too long, but I guess 37 years doesn't go quickly, either!

MY brother Tom bought a black-engine Jackpiner from Buck Whalsworth back in 1973.  He raced the bike all over the midwest until 1980 when he quit and stuck it in our mother's basement because "it quit running".  15 years ago he gave it to me to restore and, well, whatever I wanted to do with it.

I never could get it to run right, maybe a minute here and there, but never rideable.  I chased that ghost until two weeks ago when Gary Ellis and I got together and put a new HPI ignition in it and it fired up and ran!  I took it home, ran a couple 20 minute motos in the back yard, then went down to White Lightning last week with it.  

Long story short is that JP ran an hour and screamed up and down those South Carolina hills like it was 1973 again.  Started first kick from dead-engine and slid through the woods like it was on rails.  To say I'm impressed with that 175 is an understatement.  I can't believe an engine can sit for 37 years with no attention then run like it did.  First-class engineering and dependability make this one that's never going to leave the garage!

Mick
Mick

rob w

I purchased a 1974 Hare Scrambler Enduro in 2005. It is 100% original, in good condition (was only ridden on the street, 522 miles) and a cheap buy.
So I decided I should just put it away, put a blanket over it, and forget about it. Because I know myself too well, if I got it running (I never heard it run) and looking clean, I may be tempted to sell it when times are tough. (The best one's are always the easiest to sell)
So 13 years have gone by, and I finally decided it was time to get it out, and looking good for the 50th. But I still have not tried to start it until 3 days ago.
Cleaned the carb.
Timed it.
Put in a new plug.
Tickle
Kicked 3-4 times - nothing.
Put the choke full on. - Fires and runs next kick.
But it's "running on" after letting off the throttle.
Change the RH main seal.
- now it starts first kick, idles and runs fantastic.
I'll bet if I would have used the choke at first, it would have started on the 2nd kick after 15+ years of sitting.

Larry Perkins

Dirt Bike Magazine named the Jackpiner the enduro bike of the Millennium a few years ago.  Pentons have definitely stood the test of time and will probably be running long after most of these edge of the envelope modern bikes will be.  You gotta' love some Penton motorcycle.

Larry P

Pat Oshaughnessy

Larry would you happen to have copy of that article?  I would like to make a copy for a show for my 72 Jackpiner. Thanks for any help or info.:)

Larry Perkins

Yes, have to dig it out.  Will work on that this weekend Pat.

Larry P

Pat Oshaughnessy

Thats great Larry! Thanks again for the help.[:p]

Mick Milakovic

+1 Larry.  Are you going to the Arkansas national MX?  I can get it from you there.

Mick
Mick

Larry Perkins

Pat Oshaughnessy

Larry I lost your phone #. Could you call me with your address & I will mail you Stamped & addresd Envelope. I really appreciate all the info. & the part you sold me. Many Thanks. [:p]

Larry Perkins

Don't worry about it Pat.  Let me dig it out yet.

Larry P

Mick Milakovic

Hayes Farm this past weekend were 1-hour races number 5 and 6 for the 45-year-old "no rebuild" Jackpiner.  It ran perfect, again, with one-kick dead engine starts.  Finished 10th overall of 33 Saturday and 8th overall of 34 Sunday.  For the first time ever I mixed 93 octane ethanol free pump gas with 110 Cam2 race gas.  Averaged out to 101.5 octane.  I didn't notice appreciable horsepower gain, but it must have helped because the JP handled the uphills and ravines in places that a lot of other bikes had problems.

Mick
Mick

Mick Milakovic

Races number 7 & 8 at Mill Creek Motosports last weekend in Combs Arkansas didn't go so well.  In the first race I got going too fast on a big downhill and lost control, going over the bars.  A few bruises, tweaked front end, broken clutch adjuster was about all the damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As4KB4fylgc&feature=youtu.be

Got to the line the next day and the clutch wouldn't disengage which caused a few problems on the first lap so it was one-and-done.  Got back to the pits and saw a fork leg pinch bolt missing and the other loose!  Good decision on the one-and-done.

The bike however was great.  Ran strong and handled well.

Mick
Mick

Mick Milakovic

Motos #9 and 10 came off without a hitch, at least for the bike.  I hadn't ridden, except for two motos at VMD on my MC5, since May.  No real problems, just felt a little out of sorts; got some blisters from my hands being out of shape, and a few bobbles, but fun none the less.  Lots of big elevation changes in Maryland, and some really fast open woods.  Saw Dwight Gill, Lew Mayer, and got beat by Marty Strouse on a Husky for the win.  Great trails, friends, and the best handling vintage bike I've ever ridden.

Mick
Mick

Mick Milakovic

The last two races for the year were last weekend in Oklahoma.  Motos #11 and 12 went like all the others:  no problems with the bike!  I'm still amazed that, after 35 years of sitting it survived 12, 1-hour races with nothing being changed but wheel bearings!  I did swap out the 32mm forks for 35, but there wasn't anything wrong with the 32s.  Oklahoma was a great trail, prepared by 2-time world champ Trampas Parker, and included great dirt in the woods, rocks and roots, gnarly up and downhills all in a 6-mile course.  Excellent weather, great racing with Penton mounted Dave Rosier from Texas, and like the slogan says "Built For Champions", the Jackpiner won the Vintage +60 Expert national title for me.  The real expert was the bike, not me!

Mick
Mick

skiracer

Are you going to the Reunion Ride this month?

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mick Milakovic

The last two races for the year were last weekend in Oklahoma.  Motos #11 and 12 went like all the others:  no problems with the bike!  I'm still amazed that, after 35 years of sitting it survived 12, 1-hour races with nothing being changed but wheel bearings!  I did swap out the 32mm forks for 35, but there wasn't anything wrong with the 32s.  Oklahoma was a great trail, prepared by 2-time world champ Trampas Parker, and included great dirt in the woods, rocks and roots, gnarly up and downhills all in a 6-mile course.  Excellent weather, great racing with Penton mounted Dave Rosier from Texas, and like the slogan says "Built For Champions", the Jackpiner won the Vintage +60 Expert national title for me.  The real expert was the bike, not me!

Mick

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa