Painting a Windsor tank

Started by johnacapp, June 04, 2018, 09:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnacapp

Fellow POG members I have been searching the site to figure out the best way to paint a well used Windsor tank? After reading all the failed attempts I'm at a loss ?
I have a local marine store that sells marine epoxy paints.
Any thought or attempts with this type of paint sealing and not bubbling paint?
Has anyone had successfully painted any of these tanks and like would share process?
John Capp

400gs6

Never heard of a Winsor tank. Is it fiberglass? Aftermarket?
Would like to see a pic and good luck!
KURT FLACHBART

thrownchain

Windsor tanks are a plastic replacement tank, they came in different colors and we're sold thru Hi Point and others.

Larry Perkins

They were plastic and came in two shapes.  One like the watermelon tank and one like the bigger 76 toaster tank though most you see are the watermelon kind.  Still see a NOS one here and there.

Larry P

Kip Kern

Best to contact local body shops that do plastic bumpers/fenders.  I have painted some but the materials are very expensive to do a proper job.  Can get a new tank cheaper for the time and materials spent

johnacapp

Kip I agree If I could get a red plastic watermelon tank I would.
Currently I have the original fiberglass tank and I had it sealed BUT I don't ride it with a brittle 44 year old fiberglass tank.
Currently I have the opaque sort of white Winsor tank on.
If you know where I could get a red Plastic tank for a 74 HS please let me know.
John Capp

Kip Kern

I use the new plastic Clark tanks on my riders, work and look great! Crazy fact, yesterday I picked up one each pint and quart of Dupont BC paint for some customer glass fenders and the total was $300 just for the 2 cans.  Red and Yellow would have been a great deal more.

WVDingo

It's hard to tell what method to use for paint. Are there any markings on the tank that might indicate the type of plastic? Underside? For instance, most modern motorcycle tanks and plastic are Polyehtylene which paint does not adhere to (despite many jokers painting anyway and attaining a slight mechanical bond by sanding). Polypropylene was used some I think. At least Kawasaki used it for body work on the KLRs.

WVDingo

Kip,

Do you use a Clark on Pentons? Which tank on which Penton?

johnacapp

Kip,

I have looked at Clark tanks but had saw posts that they don't fit "high breathers"
please advice which Clarke tank fits a 74-75 Penton 250 HS and what if any modifications/adjustments are needed.
Thanks
John Capp

WVDingo

john,

Found a link in another thread. TedG fit a Clarke MC5 tank on a high breather. frame modification required.

https://www.facebook.com/ted.gail.1/media_set?set=a.143804929028297.36507.100001963717291&type=1&l=5c4962da54

hanksie

John,I painted a plastic Bultaco m199 Sherpa T tank about 4 mo. ago with Krylon Fuson paint.Came out rather nice looking for a rattlecan job.Put some gas in just to hear it run,then drained it not knowing how long the bike was gonna sit.(I'm not a trials rider).Next day I go out to the garage to find the tank covered with about 200 bubbles!My guess is these old tanks let fumes vent out everywhere.Any good way to seal 'em on the inside? I've seen sealers for metal and 'glass tanks,none for plastic. Any Rokon guy's out there with a hot tip? Bill

Jason Rowland

Has anyone tried one of the non-consumer automotive or manufacturing versions of Plasti Dip that is a spray application product?

https://performixcoatings.com/exterior/automotive-refinishing/

https://performixcoatings.com/product/pdc-f-717f-719f-810/

derek martin

I tried coating a cracked Yamaha IT175 intake with Plasti-Dip with poor result. The Plast-Dip soon cracked and peeled.
Those Windsor big plastic tanks are hippopotamus wide if you've yet to ride the bike with one fitted.

454MRW

My son painted his 2007 CR125 aluminum frame with Plasti Dip, and it came out with a wrinkled finish in some spots and peeled off in others, even with the frame thoroughly cleaned and dried. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Penton
1976 MC5 400
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R