shift drum orientation

Started by Mickey Sergeant, February 05, 2019, 10:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Sergeant

This is the first time I have had a ktm motor apart. Got good at working on the sachs motors. 73 jackpiner. Trying to understand on how to determine the orientation of the shift drum. Manual talks about the indexes on the drum. I see the indexes on the drum but how do you determine what one the locating lever is in

Thanks for the help

Rocket

Doesn't matter, when the shift forks line up with the shift drum, everything slips into place, it's good.  The shift drum locator on the opposite side of the motor is the last item to install when installing shift drum.
RCG

Mickey Sergeant

ok I think I understand it now. Found the topic from others
Thanks

JP Morgen

Mickey, does your drum have two neutral detents? If so, weld up the one between second and third, be careful make sure it is the correct one...

Mickey Sergeant

JP it has 7 total detents. I Would need someone to tell me what detent is first,second and so on. Picture would be helpful.

JP Morgen

Mickey, don't recall off hand, but if you envision moving the shift lever down like it is downshifting, it will spin the drum one direction, say from 6th, to 5th, to 4th,... with the detent eventually dropping in to the neutral(small) notch between second and third, then 2nd gear notch, then neutral between second and first, then first. Weld up the one between third and second. Clear as mud? Sorry, no parts in front of me, will try to photograph tomorrow.

JP Morgen

Sent you an email with a photo attached, hope it helps.