Vintage 1000 Dual Sport Ride

Started by Rick Bennett, February 08, 2019, 12:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Daniel P. McEntee

Quotequote:Originally posted by Rick Bennett

Paul Danik told me it would be OK for me to wait for them at the top.
Rick

YEAH BABY!
  That's the attitude to have!!
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Richard Colahan

Rick, re: proper D/S tires:
I strongly suggest Kenda K 270 tires.
I have used these for tens of thousands of miles on long distance D/S -ADV type rides. Alaska, Continental Divide, CO, UT, GA, Pines...you name it.
Hard gravel, sand, mud, pavement...they have never let me down, and they will last for your 3000 mile marathon!

They do run a bit small in size.
The 350x 18 would be too small for your bike...even though you might normally run a 350 knobby for our HS races. Their 450 might be too big...
They list both a 400 and a 4.10 x 18.
Not sure how different the 2 are...but that is the size I would recommend.

For the front, probably their 300 would be fine...but even their 325 is not too Porky. It is what I use on my WR250R.

I agree with Paul re: no rim locks. We may need them when we run 10lbs in our HS races...but you'll be running 25 or so for the gravel and jeep roads you have described.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

wfopete

+1 on the Kenda 270.  Good tire and can be found at really good prices.

My understanding of the K270 is that it is based off a trails tire platform and it works best at lower pressures even loaded. The K270 was my buddy's "Go To" tire on his KLR650, he would load that bike down for multi week trips and only run 25psi of tire pressure.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Pat Oshaughnessy

Kenda Tires work great! 300- & 400- no bigger! Free advice & worth every penney![:p]

paul a. busick

Rick, have been reading your thread since the beginning and thought I might as well add my 2 cents. TIRES & TUBES - I think you can have them carried by the chase truck, once you get there.  They can be carried over you shoulder on the way to start area.  TUBES - On the AVD ride a single 21 inch tube can be used for front and rear wheel.  Carry a CO2 inflation kit with a couple of extra cartridges and a small patch kit with NEW cement. Don't forget a pair of good spoons to get the tire on and off.  CABLES - An extra throttle, clutch and brake cables should be on board too. CHAIN - The chains of this day and age are FAR superior to the OLD ones, they last just about forever.  We OLD TIMERS still carry repair stuff, But it is VERY infrequently used.  The one thing that wears most is the master link clip.  GEARING - What I would suggest is that you use the largest counter shaft sprocket that you motor will pull in top gear.  Take smaller sprockets to change gearing when you get to the start area. Mount a NEW chain with the large CS sprocket and the rear axle moved forward as far as possible. Run this arrangement for a few miles to settle the chain and check chain slack, with the axle again moved forward. IF you can remove a link and have the proper slack, you should be good to go. By doing as I have suggested. You will only have to mount the smaller CS sprockets and set chain slack by moving axle to the rear.  Be sure to have the correct CS puller and wrench with you.  MOTOR BALANCING? - Back when, we never thought too much about motor balance.  If the tolerances are with in the limits I would not worry about balancing. When I was in the service in Germany you could hear a Sachs motor coming 2 Ks away - they would be scream the guts out of them.  Yes, they were small road bikes, but as I remember the off road motors were developed from them.  Another thing I would recommend would be to check the steering head bearings. Check them, repack with grease & set to specs. END PAGE 1 [:p]

Rick Bennett

Thanks guys on the tires. Just picked up a set off ebay. Brian Morroni contacted me. He will have my aluminum tank done in about a week. My motor is coming along nicely. Finished putting the case halves together last night. I need to see if Al has new lock tabs for the clutch side and get a PVL ordered. This was a spare motor from under the work bench. I think I will freshen up the motor that is in the bike now. It has a year of racing on it and has a tranny problem. In the meantime I will work on the rack for the spare fuel and bags. I paid my final payment and filled out the required form so I guess there is no turning back. Should be fun.

paul a. busick

PAGE 2.  I recommend that you have a set of bark busters mounted and maybe even mounting a pair of gal. milk jugs for hand protection and to keep hands dry if you hit a rain.  RAIN GEAR - 2 piece works best for me.   The jacket also doubles as a wind breaker.  HELMET - I think a full face is best and one that you can mount a full shield to.  Nothing worse than having rain beating on your face. Also a small towel to wrap around you neck to catch the run off from you helmet, this keep the water from running down your back to the crack of your you know what. Good gloves for the road ride and TOTES rubber pull over boots.  OIL -  for 2 strokes.  I have used Golden Spectro since JP marketed it as Hi Point brand.  I used to mix it at 50 to 1., but I have been running it a 60 to 1 for the past couple of years. It is claimed the you can run it at 100 to 1.  No one that I know has the intestinal fortitude to do so.  Less oil less smoke and drool.  I had over 5000 miles on my 200 KTM before I rebuilt it. Golden Spectro-GOOD STUFF.  Be sure that you jetting is correct for the ratio that you are running.  When I do AVD rides or long trail runs I wear a Camel Back back pack.  It carries all of the tools (small channel locks and vice grips are a must), snacks and other gear that I think I need -- plus Water.  It is easy to dehydrate on a long run.  A small elastic cargo net is also an asset.  OH, don't for get a few extra light bulbs and a small pocket knife and flash lite. Stuff that you don't want to be encumber with on the way down can be sent a head general delivery to the nearest US Post Office to the start location or locations along the ride in care of you. Don't WHAT IF this ride to death. Remember Penton bikes ran and finished ISDT events.   Seventy five % of the stuff you take will never be used and the other riders can provide something you didn't think of and you have a chase vehicle for full back up. I would like to go along with you, but my oldest bike is a 1982 Suzuki PE175. I think that just about covers it all. Have a GOOD TIME, relax and go with the flow. Amherst Paul [8D]

Rick Bennett

I am down to less than 60 days now. The Kenda tires arrived and look chunky enough for dirt and are DOT approved. The spare motor is done waiting for an ignition. My poor Six Days is spread all over the floor as the motor had to come out since it had a busted trans from a year ago. I have been way too busy to fix it till now. I took it all apart and found the key broken into two pieces and jammed into first and second gears locking it up. I had to remove the chain to get towed out of the woods. Too bad since I had finally figured out how to get the adjustment perfect. Both gears, mainshaft, selector shaft and key are ruined. I am not sure if the key was original or repro. I will bring it to the meeting for the experts to vote on. The repair will use up the last of my spare parts. Otherwise an easy fix with the rest of the motor in perfect shape. I think I have ordered all the parts I need get the bike back together. Al B. should have a nice bill for me Thursday night at the meeting. I keep revising the lists of what I want to take for spares and tools. I plan on sending a case of Spectro oil to Chattanooga UPS so it will be there when I arrive. The spare motor will be sitting in my shop all done and waiting, scaring off the demons. Hope I don't need it.
Rick

Rick Bennett

50 days out. Both motors are done. Brian Morroni called and my new aluminum tank is on its way. I cleaned up the frame and installed new Preston Petty Mudders as my PVC fenders were cracked. Picked up an original tool rack from Paul Danik and bought a bag from Al B. for my spares and tools. I also purchased a center stand from Parmabike in Florida. It fit perfectly and makes working on the bike much easier. I hadn't noticed when rebuilding the spare motor but the threads on the crank for the ignition were mushroomed from some hammer mechanic. I bought a LH 10x1.0 die off Ebay but it was made in China and wasn't up to the job. It now resides in the trash can. 45 minutes later the crank will accept a nut thanks to an American made thread file. I am going to use a Honda SL350 headlight switch for lighting and horn. My 3AH Motobatt battery fits nicely between the fork tubes behind the headlight. I found a 12V rectifier/regulator to add to the system for charging off of the AC PVL ignition. This will be used for keeping my cell phone and GPS charged. I am shooting to be ready to ride as of April 1 which will give me 30 days for breaking in and testing gearing. That's about it for now.
Rick

Pat Oshaughnessy

Those of us that cant go are with you in spirit! [:p]

Rick Bennett

Yesterday was a good day! My aluminum tank arrived and the motor is back in the frame!
Rick

Rick Bennett

The days are counting down. Under 40 now. The bike is progressing nicely. The O rings on the steering stem have always been too tight so I found some smaller ones. New wheel bearings,fork oil, tire, Honda SL350 headlight and some extra LED driving lamps finished up the front end. I painted the gas tank green and added decals. I should have been done by now but my time has been split rebuilding a basket case XR75 for my Grandson to begin his riding career on. The case of Spectro two stroke is here. Now I have to decide what ratio to use. I will be having to pour oil and gas directly into the tank without mixing first. Not too sure if I should add the oil first or last. Probably last so I will know how much fuel the fill up took, then shake the whole bike. Thanks for all the input given. It all helps me think in different directions.
Rick

Rick Bennett

Anyone else looking for an adventure???? You still have time to get ready. 5 spaces are left.

JamesHorwatt

Evening Rick,

I had mentioned to my wife that you were doing this ride and she loves the idea of me doing it in 2020. With my motocross career being placed on hold with my impending shoulder surgery I've been thinking about taking up trail riding. But I'm waiting to commit to doing it until you finish and report back as to how rough it was. I've been looking at 4 stroke Honda's as a possible mount. I maybe able to get a 70's XL 250 that needs a total going through and that fine by me, because this way I will know all systems will be a go !!!!.
Talk soon.

Thanks Jim
Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Secretary Penton Owners Group.