Tape off cylinder to paint

Started by rob w, October 04, 2002, 12:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

When the time comes to paint your KTM cylinder and you're faced with the dreaded task to tape off those rubber silencing tubes that run vertically through the fins, try what I did , I purchased 3 ft. of polyethylene tubing 5/8 o.d. - 1/2 i.d. (60 cents) from a home improvement store, also some tube cutting shears for $7. Then I cut the tubing into pieces that fit snug between the fins, make another cut to open them up, you can spring them back until they look like a Frito corn chip and snap them around the rubber, depending on how bloated your rubber tubes are, they fit good, I used a couple of sharp pointed tools to push them into place. (I guess you could use a heat gun to shrink them). It took less than an hour to make and install them, they pop back off easy, can be reused, and best of all the paint job turned out good.

Rob

Man, it is hard to paint the motor correctly without splitting the cases!

Rocket

Rob
Not sure, but I don't think the cylindars were painted on the silver KTM motors.  I've done several restores, and I always split the cases and bead blast everything.  The cylindars that I have done have not been painted.  Maybe mine were blasted in the earlier years??
Rocket

rob w

Rocket, You might be right, I just looked at a 78-400 motor I got at a swap last week. The head is painted, but not the cylinder.
 Damn!, I just took it for granted because it's called "silver barrel paint", and I thought I'd spoken to Knute about taping off those rubber tubes.
 Has anyone painted their cylinder? or am I the "Bone Head" of the week?
Rob

Kip Kern

Nope, the silver cylinder wasn't painted but the head was.  The 73 had a painted black cylinder/head combo then had a bare silver cylinder with a black head in later 73.  I bead blast my cylinders and use Hi Heat Clear coat to make them look good.  You bring up a good point though, someone out there needs to remanufacture new pull through rubbers for the cylinders.  They don't exist anymore!  Any takers?

john durrill

Kip .
 we used 8 mm fuel line . Got it from the BMW dealer. its not concors in restoration but looks good and works was well as the original.
John

john durrill

Rob. we blast both our heads and cylinders.
 dont use paint on them.we realy like the look of the cast aluminum. and after washing just a squirt of CRC or WD 40 keeps them looking good.

rob w

John, I blasted my top end too right after boring, I was thinking from the start that I was going to paint it, I don't know why, so this one is painted and I like the looks of it.
 Most of the Pentons I plan to build/own will be race/ride bikes, although I appreciate an originally correct Penton very much, it is not a big priority I'm trying to achieve. There will be chances to do that another day. For now it's my nature to have a bike that stands out as looking different.
My 75 Six Day had a yellow frame and green fenders, pretty bad I know.
Thanks, Rob

Knute

Hey Rob,
No "Bone Head" award this week!  I paint the cylinders and heads on our race bikes because, as much as I like the unpainted look, I think the porosity of the raw blasted parts makes them harder to keep looking good over a long race season.  After speaking with the guys at PJ1 several years ago, I settled on their "Silver Barrel Paint #17BRLS" for the whole engine for several reasons; It's color is very close to original, it's PJ1's highest temp silver, it's easy to clean, and it's easy touch up in between races.

Each method has it's virtues.  I'd say it just depends on what you're doing with the bike, and, more importantly, how you want it to look!

Kent

Does this mean you're getting ready to go racing?!

Edited by - Knute on 10/05/2002  12:50:25 AM
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

rob w

Hi Kent, Yep, I'm almost there, need to buy sprockets and chain, tires, maybe fork springs.

!! CONGRATULATIONS !! Kent and Kevin on another superb season of racing, have the championships been clinched yet?, I have'nt heard the word for certain.
 In my opinion, when you guys are out there winning races and championships, it does more to hike the value of Penton's than anything else. Thanks for your dedication and teachings. You both have helped me and it's been fun watching you win.
Rob

Kip Kern

Kent
Thanks for the recommendation of the PJ1 17BRLS paint, it is almost a perfect match for the KTM silver engines, especially if you use high heat clear over top!  The closest thing I have seen to date!