Engine stay studs

Started by Dennis DeGonia, July 10, 2019, 11:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DeGonia

Piner I just aquired is going to need the studs replaced do to the dreaded previous owner lack of maintenance. They are worn about halfway through so it is going to be interesting to say the least. Could someone that had done this tell me if they are installed with locktite or some other type of retainer? Since they are a grade 8 stud, I don't want to get into a situation where I have to drill on them if I can help it. Any tips or ideas welcome. Thanks, Dennis

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Dennis;
   If you have easy access to where the under cut is, and have a good trigger finger for you MIG welder, just fill in the under cut with some weld as best you can and let cool. That will strengthen the stud a bit, the heat will work at any thread locker or oxidation between the case and the stud. Latch on to the stud with some vice grips and give it a test twist back and forth and see how it feels. heating things with a small torch or an industrial heat gun at the stud area will help also. Little sharp twists back and forth, and add penetrating oil also. They have been in there a long time but some patience and persistence will get them loose. having the engine bolted in the frame may help you hold it more solidly also. Keep us posted!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee