PVL TIMING ON SACHS MOTOR

Started by Larry Perkins, September 04, 2019, 10:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Have a PVL that came on a Doug Wilford built motor that he did in 2010.  Just using it and the PVL was timed at 2.5mm BTDC.  Read several posts on this through search and got a varied response but generally 2.3-2.6mm BTDC.  Started fine but poor to dead bottomend and when it came on it exploded with power.  So Gary looks up PVL settings and it says 1.2-1.4mm BTDC.  Now seems to run correctly.  Posting this for any input and so the correct timing might come up for someone in the Search.

Larry P

Daniel P. McEntee

I have no experience with the PVL system, but wonder if there is some sort of electronic advance on it? Spark is spark no matter how you make it or what system you use, unless there is something that is electronically altering the timing? Just curious.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Larry Perkins

Maybe it has to do with the PVL not having a Woodruff key Dan?

Larry P

Mickey Sergeant

I have had PVL,s on my 100 and 125 for last 6 or 7 years. I set them at 2.4mm BTDC.  There is no flat spots on my bikes

Larry Perkins

Mickey were they analog or digital?

Larry P

JP Morgen

DO NOT run a PVL digital on a Sachs motor! I found out the hard way! Engine doesn't rev high enough or quickly enough to make the digital version retard its timing from a very advanced low rpm setting, holed my first piston in two laps!