Jackpiner spokes

Started by R.T.Fischer, January 10, 2020, 09:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.T.Fischer

What is the preferred spoke source for an early 72 Jackpiner, original Radaelli steel rims, 166x60mm hubs ? Walridge, Speed & sport, buchannons?, can any of these be ordered in kit form without having to send in inner & outer spokes to them for reference ? thanks R.T.

Cal Alexander

Walridge offers a standard Penton spoke kit in their cataloge that works for the early concentric (166 x 60) hubs used on the 72 and 73 models. They have galvanized as well as polished stainless sets complete with spokes and nipples. I've had good success with both.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

R.T.Fischer

Cal, thanks for your reply, I will give them a call. In process of cleaning up frame & swing arm, it came off no problem however old bushings had become one with swing arm, after repeated torch heatings & beatings inner metal of bushing, rubber & middle spacer gave up & came out. This took 1/2 of afternoon. No way spacer would move over a little to get an edge on the bushing from the opposite side to drive it out, so the above was beat out from one side to the other. Currently I have it soaking in old premix & ATF to see if it will part company with the outer bushing metal, Any other advice other than more heat?, trying to avoid having to cut it out.

johnbowman

I just went through this last week. In the end, I had to cut them out with a hacksaw. If you go slowly and pay attention, it works fairly easily. For my CMF SD, I used a 3/4 inch socket and extension to massage the sleeve out after I cut it and bent the tips on each side of the cut up.

Good luck!

Quotequote:Originally posted by R.T.Fischer

Cal, thanks for your reply, I will give them a call. In process of cleaning up frame & swing arm, it came off no problem however old bushings had become one with swing arm, after repeated torch heatings & beatings inner metal of bushing, rubber & middle spacer gave up & came out. This took 1/2 of afternoon. No way spacer would move over a little to get an edge on the bushing from the opposite side to drive it out, so the above was beat out from one side to the other. Currently I have it soaking in old premix & ATF to see if it will part company with the outer bushing metal, Any other advice other than more heat?, trying to avoid having to cut it out.

Cal Alexander

If you have access to a bearing press you can easily push the bushing sleeve out with a little heat and pressure. If not, your going to have to cut them out with a hacksaw. Be careful and you can do this without damaging the swingarm.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

R.T.Fischer

Had it soaking for a week while involved with other things. More heat & beat, no luck. Tried the hacksaw blade method by hand, then by sawsall , sketchy. After more beatings, got one to come out 1/4". Pried cut ends in to try to break away from swingarm ,Found a 2', 3/4" galvanized pipe in shop that had a 30 degree angle cut on one side, pointy side of cut pipe was the best thing to catch the small lip of stuck bushing outer sleeve. Heated it up once more & with a friend holding it down on a 4x8 piece of wood on concrete, and a small sledge went at it again, took about 15 hits while rotating pipe around to start moving then another 15 to come out ! then same thing on other side. Could not believe the force it took to get these out, top of pipe was mushroomed out. I don't think this would have worked on a table or in a vise. Big relief to get these out !

Mickey Sergeant

use bolt cutters  much quicker and safer.