Value of 1969 Six Day Steel Tanker Rolling Project

Started by johnbowman, March 05, 2020, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowman

I have a 1969 Steel Tanker rolling project. I have included pictures in the link below. Some of the pictures include parts for my CMF bikes.

The good: I have two fuel tanks, the seat pan, and the ignition cover. I have spare heads and cylinders and two engines. Both wheels are in good condition. The front end looks good. The kick start and shift levers are in good shape. The frame is in good shape. There is some surface rust on the rear engine mount, but it is okay. I have various other parts that go with the bike.

The bad: I have not looked at the engines closely, but assume that they would need to be totally rebuilt. No fenders. No chain. No rear shocks. No carb. I have an airbox, but not sure that it's complete. Light surface rust in several places on the frame and handle bars.

I have been approached by a few people wanting to buy the project and parts. I have no idea what it would be worth. What do you Penton experts believe is a fair price?

Thanks,

John

Link to pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yb1HgqhpWftFrDzh7

firstturn

You might start with Frame Numbers?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

johnbowman

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Ron Carbaugh

Ron,

The frame number is V0172.

Thanks,

John

C Burke

I am interested please message or email me when you have decided what your asking for it.

johnbowman

I just looked at the Penton frame number references that I have. I'm a little confused (normal for me). Would V0172 be a 1969 or 1968 motorcycle? The guy that I got it from said that it was a 69.

John

slvrbrdfxr

Hi John,
It's a 68 model. I own V0144 which was just slightly ahead of yours on the production line. Mine is basically all original except for an engine rebuild after I bought it. These early bikes had changes occur in the production process depending on, I'm guessing, what parts were available at the time. My bike has a screw on gas cap and yours has the flip top gas cap. Do you know if this is the original tank that came on this bike ? You mentioned having the airbox but was unsure if it was complete. Could you post a picture of the airbox ?  There were two different type air boxes used on the early bikes too. Was curious to see if you have the long or short airbox ? Makes for an interesting thread doing a little detective work to try and narrow down exactly when changes were made to the bikes on the production line.
Dave McCullough

G Ellis

C Burke

It has a six bolt rear sprocket. Guess it was updated ???

firstturn

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

johnbowman

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Ron Carbaugh

Ron,

The frame number is V0172.

Thanks,

John

C Burke

I am interested please message or email me when you have decided what your asking for it.

johnbowman

I just looked at the Penton frame number references that I have. I'm a little confused (normal for me). Would V0172 be a 1969 or 1968 motorcycle? The guy that I got it from said that it was a 69.

John

slvrbrdfxr

Hi John,
It's a 68 model. I own V0144 which was just slightly ahead of yours on the production line. Mine is basically all original except for an engine rebuild after I bought it. These early bikes had changes occur in the production process depending on, I'm guessing, what parts were available at the time. My bike has a screw on gas cap and yours has the flip top gas cap. Do you know if this is the original tank that came on this bike ? You mentioned having the airbox but was unsure if it was complete. Could you post a picture of the airbox ?  There were two different type air boxes used on the early bikes too. Was curious to see if you have the long or short airbox ? Makes for an interesting thread doing a little detective work to try and narrow down exactly when changes were made to the bikes on the production line.
Dave McCullough