1977 penton 400

Started by Toolsurfer, March 12, 2020, 07:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolsurfer

I never had any interaction with Penton 400 . Been looking at one and pondering , do I want to go this route . In early 70's raced CZ 400/250 and had a little saddle time with Suzuki 400 Cyclone/250 Champion among others and made through that unscathed . Just like to hear from people that have rode or that are riding Penton 400 now . Thanks William

Larry Perkins

Get the head model done and short shift into keep it from hitting in the meat of the powerband and it is a winner!

Larry P

Toolsurfer

Thanks Larry , never been on one but believe that I would like it . I figured it had a little snap in the powerband . All the machines in that area that I rode needed attention paid to them to be fast . Thanks William

Try327

Raced a 250 Penton in the Sportsman open class against 400 Maico's and had a problem with them on the straightaways and decided to get a 400 Penton to even the score. The Penton was not quite as fast as the Maico but the 400 Penton sure help. The biggest problem with the Penton's is they are a little heavy, the 400 makes good power but it does not hit as hard as the Jap bikes do. They are fun to ride but at one time they were hard to find pistons for but now Al has them.

Carl Hill

Many years ago I was riding a 78 250 and had a buddy with a 400. His bike felt a lot like mine with more torque. I liked it.

JP Morgen

I modified and raced a 400 for a few years in AHRMA vintage motocross. Great running and working bike, although I used the shorter wheelbase 175 frame. Your title says 1977 400... by then, the Japanese and the Maico bikes were better developed bikes, in my opinion.

hrbay

Once, hare scrambling, I started in 3rd off the line and was into the woods first, didn't stay there tho'. That 78 gs400 was a torquey beast.

GC
GC

cecmwilson

Switched from a 400 Falta CZ in September 1977 to a MC5 Penton 400. Won my class in 1 month's time and ALWAYS holeshotted unless the petcock was off. There wasn't an open bike on the MX track I couldn't pull on a straight, and I wasn't that good of a rider. Once the Bing was jetted right, the big bike would start on the second kick. Great suspension, cornered on rails and whellied at any whim - I even trail rode it on off days. You will love those bikes. It took me years to finally find another but I did! Good luck to you.

Pat Oshaughnessy

If you can ride suzuki 400 cyclone you can ride the Penton just fine!   My buddy had a 1977 400 Penton.  He told me if he could keep the front end down he would be first to the first turn every time. He was # 1 vet expert in dist. 36 [:p]

Mike Lenz

Rode and raced them all my life.  If you get one email me and I will give you some tips to up HP by 5-10 easily and make it smooth out some.  Oh I crave that Bark! But bad knee wont allow me to start one anymore.  Had to go down to a 250. I believe one of the most competitive Historic class bikes out there.
[email protected]