Looking for Steel Tanker

Started by clayman, May 15, 2020, 07:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

My first race bike in 1970 was a 1969 Steel tanker when I was 13. I've had a dozen or so over the past 30 years, but now that I want another some 10 years after selling my restored '71,I can't seem to locate one. I'm just looking for a reasonably priced one in so-so condition as a rider, as long as it runs and shifts like it should. Northwest location preferred.:)

clayman

Have the steel tankers dried up? Maybe they are all in large collections? There were quite a few in the Northwest in the early 2000s, available for anywhere from $250 to $700, but none to be seen since then. Still kicking myself for selling the one I restored in 2009. I had it listed for months for $1300 and had no takers on it. Finally, a guy called wanting it, and I traded him for a 440 Maico, which I rode once and sold it.....I'm not a Maico guy![V] Still want a Steel Tanker, reasonably priced, non-restored, as a rider.

Larry Perkins

They are still out there just not reasonable anymore.

Larry P

clayman

Thanks Larry, that's what I figured! Maybe I'll have to be content with a '72 125. I'm not expecting to find one for $600 anymore, just hoping to locate my old one for $2500 or less.:)

Larry Perkins

I wish you all the luck but tough on a steel tanker.  I sold a project one not long ago that hat was not complete but motor was done for $3500.

Larry P