John Durrill

Started by Larry Perkins, July 31, 2020, 06:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Sadly just found out that on July 18th John Durrill passed away.  John was a lifelong motorcycling enthusiast and was a brilliant engineer.  He did many matching projects over the years like mating a Sachs bottom end to a KTM175 topend and vice versa.  When I was restoring my Astrodome bike he built a Carl Cranke spec pipe for it like it originally had.  At the time of his death he was working on a Sachs 175 bottom with a KTM175 top.  He will be missed.  RIP my friend!

SouthRider

So sorry to hear this. John was a great contributor to the POG.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

firstturn

Very sad. He also worked restoring Electric Service after Hurricanes.  I helped hims several times with some of  his special projects. Wonderful Friend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

Great guy and sorry to read of John's passing. It was nice getting to know John and riding with him on an all Penton row during the 2007 ISDT Reunion Ride in New Blaine, AR. I remember taking a good look at the bike John rode that weekend which Larry described above. It was a CMF framed Penton with a blue toaster tank which had a Sachs bottom end mated to KTM 175 top end. Very nicely built machine that performed flawlessly all weekend. RIP John.
Dave McCullough

clayman

Very sad, indeed, but from conversations I had with him, he said he was a believer In Jesus, so he's in a better place by having faith in Him. We traded parts and Christmas cards over the years and he was a huge help on many occasions.  
Clay

tdthigpen

Sad,he was a great friend.

Thomas Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days   1972 125 Six Days (2)
Thomas Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days   1972 125 Six Days (2)

I read somewhere that there was a right up in Keep on Tracking on his Sachs bottom-KTM top. I did this sometime ago and like to conpair his to mine. Anyone now the date. Ol dave

Thanks found it myself

Daniel P. McEntee

I think the first event that John rode that bike in was the first ISDTRR at Park Hills , MO, or may have been the second one. He set up his pit/camp near my brother and I. John was a VINDURO member and posted about it quite often, but you can't get to those archives anymore. What issue was that, so I can see if I have it in my collection. I wouldn't mind reading up on it again as a way of remembering John.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee